Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning it was a bit cold (8 degrees F). I warmed up the engine for about five minutes and began to drive. While I was getting out of my driveway, I put brake to slow down, but brake didn't work! It was spongy and very soft. I depressed the brake pedal really hard, but I could not make a stop or slow down. I almost hit other car parked in the street. After pumping brake pedal several times, it started to work normally. Same thing happened last year. It happened only in the very cold morning in winter. I guessed moisture buildup in the brake fluid could be a culprit. I never flushed and replaced the brake fluid. So I had it replaced at the local Goodyear service center. It's less than a year ago. Is this kind of brake failure normal in very cold morning? Do I need to replace brake fluid again? I had the brake pads replaced 6 months ago.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe you had some moisture in the vacuum hose to the brake booster which froze so that no vacuum could be built up in the booster!?
Don't know if this is possible, just a thought!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. Strange thing is that it happened only in very cold morning. It didn't happen for about a year since I had the brake fluid changed. Now it happened again this morning. I guess moisture somewhere in the brake system froze and caused a failure in the hydraulic pressure. After pumping the brake pedal several times, it becomes normal. It never happened other times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts