Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Elantra Gt with 4 wheel disc with NO ABS it has 7900 miles so i know its broke in however the past 4000 mi or so whenever i press the brake at any preasure there is a grinding noise from the back right tire that can be heard even outside the noise still continues up to 2 or 3 seconds after the car is stopped so i dont think it is the brake pad to the rotor but i could be wrong has anyone had or heard of something like this. When i took it to my dealership they said Quote" thats bizare " they dont know what it is and it will be a few days till they can get to it and tear the car apart for the noise. Thank you for reading.

GTsmokeya

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as a matter of fact it does happen when the pedal is depressed i will try letting up right away to see if it makes a difference. Thank you for the tip.

GTsmokeya

·
Registered
52 Posts
sounds a lot like a caliper issue. rusty slider bolt, bad piston...something like that. there aren't many moving parts in a brake system when you get right down to it.

good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My poor '02 suffers from the same affliction. It never started making any noise until I had about 35k on it but it also burns rear brake pads up twice as fast as the fronts. A slight grinding noise that you hear for a few seconds when you first start driving right and then it goes away, right? Problem I had is when I took it to the dealer under warranty, they claimed nothing was wrong with it I stiffed me $45 for an inspection fee since they found nothing wrong. So I lived with it until the rears wore out again, then upon inspection I found that the piston on the right rear caliper was sticking. Weird thing was that the rear rotors showed no sign of extreme wear or heat, just the pads. Since the dealer won't help me with shat, especially since I'm over the 60k warranty mark, I'm just going to by new rear calipers and see what happens.

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so now get this I go out to my car last nite and press the unlock button and open the door and much to my suprise my clock and stereo is on and there is no key in the ignition???? So i ignore it start the car get home take the key out and they go off like they should and i arm the alarm. But for kicks I wanted to see if i could get the car to do it again so I unlocked it got in and stuck the key in and then clicked over to acc and the stereo and clock came on like they should so i pull the key back to lock and remove it the stereo and clock are still on with the key out so i close the door and set the alarm and they stay on so i unlock it again and put my key in again to run without starting it and then pulled back and they went off. So i think there is a short in the ignition but with the alarm on i thought no acc. could be on hmm very odd...

GTsmokeya
bataling one problem at a time!

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an Eclipse headunit in never had this problem in the past in my 03 GT I had a Alpine and pioneer headunit with neither of them caused a problem even if the headunit acted up why would the factory clock between the vents come on it doesnt add up.

GTsmokeya

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i was just wondering if they were hooked up differently than stock. but it sounds like it's maybe a problem with the ignition switch. let me ask this: when the clock and stereo remain on when they're not supposed to, do the other accessories remain on? e.g., side mirrors and cigar lighter? if so, then i'd say definitely there is a problem with the ignition switch.

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it's hard to say cause the lights arn't on I don't smoke so i dont try the cigarette lighter i use if for my radar detector and i dont leave it plugged in when the car is off hyundai told me today that the noise is from the short air intake I have so i said but you just admited it was a physical grinding noise like everyone else who has heard my car so since air intakes deal with preasure it would be hissing. Interesting fact that it only makes the grinding noise in drive no other gear in reverse she is very quite.

GTsmokeya

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
well to get back on topic, you will probably be having to replace your rear brakes soon. i had that noise say about a month ago . . i noticed that when i stopped it made this weird kind of soft grinding noise and kept going for a bout a second or two after letting go of the break pedal. . .now they are grinding like a banchi and need to be replaced. so maybe thats whats happening here. 70 bucks to get them fixed here in miami

·
Do you Hyundai?
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the help and advice I hope it's nothing and just me going crazy but I never win so maybe it will blow up! j/k

Gtsmokeya

Back on subject of the ignition system being faulty my car has a ticking noise that isnt a good sounding tick i had a mechanic friend look at it and drive it he figures that the sparkplug wires are shot and maybe shorting out. If this is the case that could explain some of the hard shift random idle adjustment and why the car kicks when I accelerate sometimes(eg. possible misfire or almost misfiring). Because I work at Hyundai dealer I went to the service desk to get help and they want me to pay for it because they arnt sure it is I mean c'mon WTF is wrong with this car i am so sick of it my 2003 never gave me a problem I feel stupid trading it in for this POS 2004.

GTsmokeya

1 - 12 of 12 Posts