Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its time to get new pads for the ride.
I figure if im going to do it, i should just have it done right..

Looking for recommends on rotors and pads. not planning anything drastic, but i might as well get something that looks 1/2 way decent now that you can see the whole thing crystal clear with my enkeis..

i did some searching but most of the really good meaty threads are kinda old and most of the links are dead.. From the threads it looks like ebc's are good for pads. so ill probobly take that route. anyone know a good place to get them?

and if im already going to have everything off i might as well just change the rotors, i mean the ones i have are fine, but ugly and stock heh. I see some people with shiny silver ones that are slotted and/or drilled. those are cool looking, if they work well im contemplating that route, looking for recommends there, have 0 exp with it and am going in blind.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Hawk HPS and O'reilley rotors. Very good combo IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
^do you know where i could find those rotors?
o reilly rotors comes up with nothing on froogle or google

*edit
Also, are ebc's rotors any good. anyone have exp with them? j/w casue it would be convinient to just buy pads and rotors in the same order from the same place..

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
O'reilly auto Parts.. . it's a parts store. Their brand rotors are $25 each here and are well made.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
damn, no stores locally. recommended: use online store.
pads: ebc (N/A online) wagner, oreiley. rotors: ebc (N/A online), wagner

no luck.

so why do i see so many recommends for the ebc green over the red, whats the real diff?
i see the red advertise 50% less brake dust and the green advertise 30% less. with my new wheels showing dirt so much, im really interested in the red just for that reason.. most of the other specs seem pretty similar, am i missing something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
damn, no stores locally. recommended: use online store.
pads: ebc (N/A online) wagner, oreiley. rotors: ebc (N/A online), wagner

no luck.

so why do i see so many recommends for the ebc green over the red, whats the real diff?
i see the red advertise 50% less brake dust and the green advertise 30% less. with my new wheels showing dirt so much, im really interested in the red just for that reason.. most of the other specs seem pretty similar, am i missing something?
Im pretty sure that the reds require a warm-up period where the braking sucks but then they brake better once warmed up.... i am probably wrong on this one tho... someone back me up

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Ya i'm running slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. They will stop and make u realize u need stickier tires.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
a lot of people say that drilled or slotted rotors will hurt your braking. I'd go to rockauto.com, and look up a set of the raybestos advance technology rotors. they're 35 each, and they have a rust preventing coating on them, so the edges and hat wouldn't get rusty, keep it looking nice behind those enkeis. EBC greenstuff are good from what I hear, so are redstuff. the red might not be as good when cold, but they're good, but they dust a lot more than the green. definitely stay away from the yellow, they're definitely track only, they have to get heat before they'll work. the hawks are good too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors from summitracing, along with the greenstuff pads.

They look great and have a zinc coating on the rotors that keep rust off the non-contact areas. They stop great, but there is some brake noise that everyone seems to have.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
+1 for hawk pads. as for rotors, get brembo blanks or see if "Uneek" is still around on newtib...if he is, and still selling brake kits, get some slotted brakes from him. NOT drilled. just slotted. hell, if hes still selling them, you can get pads and rotors for about 150$ (i think)...its been a while since i looked into it. they were cheap, and i never had issues with mine

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seriously, i suck at life.
anyone have any good links to places that sell the stuff at decent prices. the only placed i can find are the huge vendors that want like 200 bucks for rotors. i know they have to be out there a lil cheaper..

taking the recommends from this thread and from other searched i think im leaning toward brembo slotted rotors and greenstuff pads. but only if i can find them at a fair price. which so far, i suck at doing

where did you guys buy your stuff from? -oh and i called the local places around here, they have jack squat

·
Final Fantasy 7=Teh Sex
3,840 Posts
I would just get new rotors and some Hawk pads then. If your only doing daily driving I would just get some decent ceramic pads from Advance Auto. And if your that dumb to mechanical work, I can lend you my garage to work on the car.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just ordered EBC silver colored slotted rotors and EBC redstuff pads, it was 190 for both shipped. i called and the guy talked me into the red. then he "supposedly" contacted ebc and made sure they were good for DD and came back saying they are great and 50% less dust and and and.. for all i know he put me on hold and had a ham sandwich but you know..

i found a coupon online to get 10$ off the order and 190 seemed fair after checking like 10 of the ebc authorized places. most places came up 200-220, so i figured what the hell, and free shipping was a +..

hopfully in 5-7 days ill get em installed. i basically need them now. my mechanic said my pads had 1.5 to 2 months left on em.. that was about 3 weeks ago

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These came in today, im taking them with me to the pittsburgh meet, if time allows im going to rope yamaha into giving me a hand getting these installed.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
RED STUFFS?!?!?!?! Are you nuts? I thought we taught you better than that. Your cold braking is going to suck but they'll hold up on track days lapping VIR.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
we should be able to do them...ill be out around 4-5pm tomorrow...im leaving CBS around 1 or 2

im pretty sure sean has some anti-sieze we can apply to your rotor to keep the new ones from seizing again (you will see what i mean tomorrow or sat when we do it)...if he's out, its like 5-6$ at advance down the street and it will save you hours of a headache the next time you have to replace rotors

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
well... green stuff is 200 or less hp. red stuff is street able, for higher power cars, and if im not mistaken, the YELLOW is track pads. so the reds shud be more or less fine for DD, and alot better under hard braking.

next time i have to get pads, ill either get green or red, not sure yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts