Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to Elantraxd and had a few questions about my 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. I am trying to learn more about maintenance and upkeep to avoid dealer costs. I've had it a couple years and had the brakes replaced a year or so back. For about a week I have been experiencing squealing from my brakes and it is just when I am driving. When I apply the brakes the noise goes away. I was thinking it was the calipers. Also if I turn the car left or right the noise will go away. Would that be because of bad alignment?

The second problem I've been having is that my engine when cold has been making a constant chirping noise for about 10-15 minutes. The noise is mostly made in the beginning when I am idling and the noise level increases when I accelerate. After those 10-15 I will accelerate and then it will just stop and won't usually happen for the rest of my time driving. I was thinking the belts and saw that maybe it would be the tension. Be great to get any thoughts before I have to go take it in. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd say you're on the right track with both guesses. It's possible the dealer didn't use any caliper grease to quell noises when they assembled. For the belt squealing, start with the alternator belt and snug it down a touch at a time until the squealing goes away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts