Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 04 GT hatchback for about a week now & I'm already sick of babying it. I was wondering how long should I "break it in" for ? What are the normal rpm's I should be shifting at & how fast should I go on the highway...? Please I want to set her free but I don't want it to bite me in the #(@ later...

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the same position. I've got only about 600 miles on my 04 hatchback gt, and I'm planning on babying it until 1500 miles. I'm shifting between 3 and 4 rpms normally, but every so often, I let go and shift between 5-6. :)

Speedwise on highways, I've hit 80-90 while driving from NY to Pittsburgh.

IMO I think you should drive your car carefully until you feel that the car is ready.

·
love/hate thing
92 Posts
correct, you are supposed to give it about 1500 miles for break-in, and technically you should be shifting between 3-4000 until you hit 1500 miles. they not to take it above 55-60 mph, but i dont know anyone who has done that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I followed the manuals suggested break-in when I first got my '02 GT. If I can remember correctly, their recommended break-in period is 9,500 miles. Thats alot of miles for a break-in I thought but I followed it for the most part. The only thing I didn't follow was keeping it under 55-60. I never jumped on the throttle or red lined it until I was at about 9,500 miles. Now I'm at 82k miles already and it still runs like a charm.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
SilverWolf said:
I never jumped on the throttle or red lined it until I was at about 9,500 miles.
Holy Cow! 9500! It took me almost a year to put that many miles on my car. I gave it until it's first oil change at 3000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. i'll just baby it until about 1,500 miles or so. Then I'll gradually let her loose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hyunelan2 said:
Holy Cow! 9500! It took me almost a year to put that many miles on my car. I gave it until it's first oil change at 3000.
I put almost 35k a year on the car...long, long, commute. When I first got the car, I gave the factory oil about 1500 miles then changed out to synthetic from then on out. I've babied it like my other cars and expect to get 200k+ out of it. Last car I had 210k miles on it when I traded it in, still ran strong and never burned a drop of oil. Key to long motor life = always use the same brand and type oil and never, ever, ever, never use any oil additives. No Slick50, no Prolong, none of that shat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have read a few articles on the web and they all said to ride it hard after a good warm-up then change the oil after 20 miles. The gives the needed heat to expand the rings or something of the like. Then change the oil... drive it for 1500 miles then change the oil again and use any type of oil you want after that. The Engine is broken in. FAct of the matter is... everyone has an opinion and their own way of doing things. In the end my guess is that they are all right. My brother has ragged on his '01 since my dad bought it for him brand new, it has never needed a single repair, interior fix, no broken buttons or handles, and hasn't had to change the headlights either.

Here's a few links...
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.sdpc2000.com/faq/kbhowto.asp?mt_node=3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts