Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crane spring, no less. if i get really lucky, i can figure out a way to intall a new one without removing the timing belt and cam. the timing belt is a real PITA, and i just don't feel like doing it again. I'm pretty sure i can remove the cam caps and tilt the cam up to install the spring without removing the timing belt, but i don't know about compressing the spring and installing the keepers.
i haven't revved the car past 6800 since the install, and i haven't heard of anyone else breaking these particular springs.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What other car is this? And only one valve spring failed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
much modified 98 neon. looks like one of the keepers let go, because the keepers and retainer were off, so i don't think i can blame it on the spring itself. had just the spring failed, the retainer and keepers would likely still be in place. got a couple of good suggestions from neon folks, so it might not be so bad.
right now cyl. 4 is just about TDC and the spring is off, so i'll have to crank the motor by hand to get the valve down far enough to get the spring over it.Then cut a "window" in an old spark plug socket, put that over the retainer, and find a way to push or pry down on it and put the keepers in through the "window" with tweezers. low tech, but it should work. :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts