Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this doesn't sound like a topic to be mad about, but I am! It's not the XD that's going, so don't worry. My Fiance's 1992 POS Pontiac Grand Am has offended me for the last time. We were planning on replacing it near or after the wedding (October 23rd). I told her if anything goes wrong with it that can't be fixed with duct-tape, it's not getting fixed. Some of you may have read my flame about this car before, but here's a recap:

Type: 4-door 1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE, (pale) Gray - with GM paint peel and exposed primer underneath - severe hail damage (seriously, severe!). 160000 miles

Problems: Whenever it rains, we literally bail out the floor in the back seat with a bowl. Like a sinking ship. Electrical - gauges sometimes spuratically go from high to low for no apparent reason. Warning lights blink like a christmas tree. 1 Good tire (replaced a flat in march). front brakes replaced by me with cheap autozone brakes in march.

Safety: no airbags in the car. General unsafe feeling to it. Worried about her getting hit by some drunk ******* on her way to work.

THE FINAL STRAW: This morning on her way to work, she called my cell-phone (I leave about 20 mins before her). She said the battery light came on (not unusual) and the gauge was reading 8 volts and dropping steadily. I told her to turn off the radio, and everything unnecessary (raining-needed wipers and lights). She said the turn signals were going 'crazy' and really dim when she used them - I told her not to. If you've read this, obviously you've put together it's most likely an alternator problem. Well, she made it to school (she's teaching summer school do behavior disorder kids). The car will not restart. THAT'S IT... I DON'T CARE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS - THE CAR IS GONE!

Here's the dilema

She wants a Sante Fe - no problem with me. We were trying to wait for the Tucson so we could compare the two, but the car's not gonna make it to August. My dealer has a sale going on right now. I could put 2000 down on a 04 GLS 2.7 v6 (no 4wd) and prob pay about 300/month. (I pay 307/month on the Elantra).

do I:

A: Go buy the Sante Fe with extended warrenty and be done with it.
B: Go buy her another 2000-3000 crapbox to last another year or two so we can save faster for a house and move out of the apartment
C: Angrily replace the alternator and kick the car to vent frustration.

Please give justification for you choice. Most likely she will just want to fix the car, since she worries about money - I've had it with this shitbox.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
I wanted a Sante Fe too, the 2,000 that I was going to put down on it only brought it down to $350....that's when I looked at the Elantra. I know where I lived the dealership made a note that if I took the Elantra that day I would be able to trade it in at the end of the year and they would give me 2,000 for the Elantra. This would entitle me to save some money up until then ( Extra to put down for low monthly payments). I fell in love w/my Elantra needless to say....so I could careless for the Sante Fe....I just wanted to let you know what the dealership did for me, maybe you can get an Elantra to hold you over until you save up some extra cash.

If you can afford $300 a month go for it, but I know that if your planning a wedding in October you might want to save your money for that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
C: Angrily replace the alternator and kick the car to vent frustration.

Alternators are pretty cheap. and seems like you have a weather stipping problem also very cheap to fix. Then it would be good enough to make it to August and you can get the one she wants.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The deal I've already got 'in the works' with my dealer is 2G down + my 1G owner loyalty @ 3.9% will get me a $20,000 Sante Fe for $313. It's already been decided that if we get a new car, it'll be a Sante Fe. She likes the Elantra a lot, but refuses to drive the same car as me. We looked at the tibby, but that's just not practical (see earlier thread). Neither of us feel as we're old enough for a Sonata or XG, and the Accent is too small for a future family. That leave the Sante Fe.

Kryol - we don't know if the Tucson is what she wants. From the pictures, she likes the Sante Fe better. I just thought it'd be neat to have a tucson before anyone else, that's why I wanted to give it a chance. Then again, first year vehicle = reliability question and recalls, just like the 1st year Sante Fe.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
How many months is the loan for....If you give me all the details I will run the figures for you and let you know what it comes out to. I need the tax%, sale price, MSRP. I already have $down and loyalty. Is this a 4 wheel drive Santa Fe?

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
any old crapbox you buy will need at least $2000 in repairs (pretty safe estimate). but if you do that, it'll probably work for more than a year. despite the fact that the grand am is the biggest shitmobile alive, its going to be more economical to fix it than to do anything else.
EDIT: tirerack has some pretty cheap rubbers to go on the car, and an alternator would be cheap and easy to replace

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will be a 60 month loan. Tax Rate is 7.75% MSRP = $21,589 (GLS 2.7l, not 4wd) Sale price still not decided (put what you think). Current program in the newspaper advertises 3.9% financing with approved credit (I'm damn sure we qualify). Hyundaiusa.com is advertising 0.9% for 60 months on sante fe's as well.

Thanks Watson

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Holy - what a pickle!

Ummm, well, it sounds like you should try and make that car last till August....I know what it's like trying to deal with something that is a money pit. If you can't put the money into it to make it last and having it soooo unreliable, what about coming up with a solution till August....get rid of the car and take transit or work out a schedule to drop her off or car pool, or let her use your car or something, we are only talking about a couple months.....might even save you a bit of money doing it that way. When August comes, that's when you make the decision on a car. Don't jump into anything you might regret that's all.....the Santa Fe is an awesome vehicle - go with that and don't wait for the Tuscon if you must, but I think the first solution is the best for now......best of luck!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha. Public Transportation... what's that? It doesn't exist here. Yea, I could drive her around, but that's pretty much delaying the inevitable. If she's going to get a car, might as well be now so she can enjoy it (and have Air Conditioning) through the summer. August is 2 months away from winter.

Another aspect is with the wedding coming closer, and her not having work after June 25th (teachers get summer off), she's going to have to go to her hometown of rockford and back to meet with people (bakers, florists, etc.). That's 2 hours each way - and I don't want her driving her crap car there, which means she'd drive mine (maybe, she's all nervous about messing up my car).

It's not like we only have $2000. We've got more than that saved up, just didn't want to put more than $2G down on the car, incase we needed money for other stuff (like little unexpected wedding things).

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Invoice on the car should be around $20500...thats a fair sale price they should have no trouble selling it to you for that. The rebate on Santa Fe is $1750 in PA I think its the same everywhere. $2000 down 3.9% interest 7.75%taxes 60months/325 per month. It should be 20500 -1750 rebate-500 loyalty. That is a fair deal for you and them so If you wanna buy it it should be easy to get it for that! That payment should be really close leave a couple dollar window either way.

No offense Sed but you cant get another 100k out of his car its almost dead already!

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
It's better just to get a new car and not put all your money in fixing that crap hole. I had a car in the same situation.....my car was hanging by a thread. If you have the money go for it....with all the traveling your soon-to-be wife will have to do it's better to get a new car and know that she is safe.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I think he means he doesnt want his wife in traffic stuck in a piece of shit with no A/C. I wouldnt want my wife in one either(when I get married). You gotta take care of your women here I think he is doing the right thing!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, you know how I feel about Pontiac, so I say fix that Grand Am. And if not, how much you want for it? I can fix the damn thing and use it as my "project" car. :)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Ha!

You have no idea what I can do with a junk car!!!!!

If the engine is in decent shape, I'll rewire the whole car for less than 100, an alt. is what 70 bucks? Some RTV to seal off the roof leak, prolly needs cv joints and some axle seals to be safe....

thats 180 bucks right there

AND I still have 120 for expenses that i can't see..!!!!

shawn :)

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Ok I will take your word for it but...the money you just spent to fix it is about all the car is worth so any unseen expense puts you in negative equity. Let the poor thing RIP

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
Buy the santa fe You already said she likes it, so you prob won't change her mind when the tucson comes out, plus being a new model they won't deal on it like the will on the santa fe.

Plus I would put a junkyard alt on the grand am and sell it for $500 or so and use the money for more mods on the Elantra.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts