Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why are some camber bolts hundreds of dollars and some 17.99 ea? OBX makes some for a Tib that are 17.99. Will the bolts for and Tib work on the XD?

Also, Why get a kit at all. Why not just get smaller, hardened bolts?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Can you show us some examples of the hundreds of dollars ones? My guess is that the hundred $$ or more units are pillow ball upper mounts or something along those lines and not just a bolt to replace the stock strut bolts.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
You don't really need camber bolts to adjust the camber of your wheels. A good alignment shop can slot the holes in the struts where the wheel hub mounts on to allow some adjustment of the camber. When the bolts are tightened, the camber is set.

I had to have that done on my 96 Accent after an accident changed the camber on one side, and never had any problems after that.

It all depends on how extreme you want to go. It looks like the $80 Eibach kit includes new end links and stuff for the lower control arms.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend the slotting of the holes in the strut. Anything that will weaken the suspension components imo is a no no. It probably worked fine on your Accent but I wouldn't want to be around if it ever failed. I couldn't find a part number for what Tirerack has from eibach but here's the link Eibach camber bolts
There is no reason for you to pay $80 for just bolts like this.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm maxed out on the negative in the rear. Slotting for up to -2 degrees actually wouldn't be that much. I'm not sure what optimal degree setting for the fronts I would need for exceptional results autocrossing tho. Is -2 degrees a lot for that. Seems I've seen cars in my class with more than that but I don't really know. How much adjustment will camber plates give?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
It would depend on each manufactures item and how low the car has been dropped, there is not an easy answer to that question unfortunatly.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some bolt kits say 1.75+/- I would assume that plates would be more of a range. I have about 1.5+ drop with the H&R's.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Buy the Eibachs from Tirerack. Much better customer service and a reputable company, seller and manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
General question:

Will I need new camber bolts with a 1.7" drop?

Thx.

i used a set of camber bolts on my lowering spring install, i'm going to remove them when i do the tib brake upgrade...

I dont think they are necessary and my springs are a 1.7 drop...

:)

now, if you are trying to get a fine tuning configuration, you will need the camber kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts