Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday evening at 5:15 on 395 south, rush hour traffic raining slightly ,right by the Pentagon.
Traffic was flowing fine, I was going 50mph, then all of sudden EVERYONE was slamming on their brakes. I then see why. A F*CKING drifter was walking a bike across 4 lanes of highway traffic. He wasn't riding it, he was freaking walking it.My lane was the last one he had to cross. I hit my brakes, and keep in mind it's drizzling, so what happens? That's right, I slide, going about 10mph into the guy. He hits my driver fender, mirror, and outside pillar. He goes flying a good 10 feet, and his bike goes about 15 feet into the shoulder of the highway.
I jump out of my car and call 911, and as soon as I get off the phone with them, he is getting up and dusting himself off. He tells me about 20 times to not call the cops, and that he is fine. He gets on his bike, puts his hat on takes off on the exit ramp. I'm not believing what I'm seeing. I'm still in shock over what just happened, and nobody else even stopped.
About 6 cops come, ambulance, fire truck, whole shebang. And ask where the pedestrian is, I'm like 'He left.' The can't believe it. They radio back to dispatch and tell them that the pedestrian has left, dispatch calls back and asks 'do you mean the motorists has left the scene?'
They laugh about the whole thing, and two cars take off looking for the guy. I get a blank piece of paper that I have to fill out myself for a police report(WTF?!?!?).
So end damage:
A broken mirror(easily fixed, I just have to buy the molding color bracket thing that holds the mirror onto the car.)
A slightly dented hood(again easily fixed, as it's a smooth dent that'll pop right out)
A dented pillar(that wont' be as easy :mad: )
Some small chips in the bottom of the bumper.
Yesterday, me and my friend are detailing cars and the women forgot to close the garage door, and her freaking huge ass german shepard(aptly named Sargeant) runs out at us barking like a mad dog, jumps on my friend and was about to rip his throat out. Women called him off just in time though :eek: Then we get locked out of our new house last night and have to sit outside with the mosquitos attacking us for like 2 hours.
I need a vacation. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
wait a minute . . the police gave you a SIGNED blank police report?????????? did they say you had to bring it to them when you were done? either way is it just me or did black just get a free pass to happy land when it comes to insurance paying for all this????? well at the very least pass to happyland cause he doesnt have to say he HIT a person which i am sure wouldnt do good for your insurance rate anyway . . .? ehh i dont know . . awesomely incredible story though

·
Resident Rompa Nalgas
129 Posts
I apologize if this is bad, but I was laughing at the part when he flew up in the air. Good thing he didn't die, though. And sorry about your ride. But that is funny, though.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What really gets me mad is that about 75% of the people I've told are saying I'm at fault. Uh.....NO......anyone walking across a 4 lane highway in rush hour traffic is asking for it.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
As far as at fault goes some states give the right of way to the pedestrian even if they are J walking or crossing a divided highway. If that's how your state is then yes you would be at fault. It goes against common sense to say that you should be able to stop from 65mph for some jack ass crossing an expressway but if that's what your local law makers have decided you were in the wrong.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
I believe there are Pedestrian Laws and one of them is that pedestrians are not allowed to cross highways. Anytime I've seen someone broke down on the side of the highway and they start walking on the side, the police are right there in no time.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hell, the police didn't even ask my name or check my license. Gave me a little worksheet with questions I have to answer and a number to call to give the details.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Man, I hit someone that was crossing against the light - drunk ass girl with no insurance......it's my fault. Whenever you hit a pedestrian it's almost always 99% the drivers fault...did I think I was at fault? No. Did the people riding in the car with me think it was my fault? No. Did the people that witnessed the accident think it was my fault? No. The police made no mention that it was my fault, till my insurance called me saying it was 100% me.....I had to argue with them and the most I could get it reduced was 50/50 (mine and her fault) - still on my record like it would be a 100% though.......that was 5 years ago and I'm still pissed.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Well if the police didn't take any of your info you might not want to file a report. If the guy bolted you can't go after him for anything and if you don't provide any info to anyone this guy can't track you down later. Depending on the repair costs it might be cheaper not to file a claim anyhow. With you last Elantra being totaled not too long ago your ins co might not be to happy to see another claim.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
2GTS has a good point... you don't want to get put on that high-risk list for insurance premiums. Even if the repair is a little costly, you're probably coming out ahead in the long run if you don't have to jack your premiums up again.

You didn't do anything wrong, but this is a good example of screwed up laws screwing people. You called the police, waited for them, wanted to file the report and they're giving YOU the hard time. The cops prob. know that it'll be better for you to just eat $hit and pay for the repair out of pocket, that's why they did it the way that they did.
(or maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.