Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I gave up working on rear drum brake change because of stuck broken bolt in the drum and went to Walmart for tire rotation and balance because it was due time and also I prepaid.
Before tire rotation, I heard some tire noise from the passenger side front. It was like a little rattling, but not grinding, though it was not loud and it didn't bother me much. I thought that it may go away after tire rotation.
After tire rotation and balance, I drove around 50 miles on the Interstate to go to work. The car was wobbly and shaky and I didn't feel comfortable. The rattling noise is louder. I had to slow down and was afraid of safety. I could barely made it to come to work. They told me the passenger side rear tire is not good because it has damaged belts on the tire. The tires still have around 20,000 miles thread life left.

My questions are:
1. Is it better to change all tires or change that particular tire, maybe used one O.K.?
2. How about reversing the tire rotation and put the tires back to before? I am thinking this because I had planned to change the tires in about 3-4 months and money is tight at this time of the year due to approaching holiday season and and also because my wife bought a new car after a wreck. Thanks in advance for helpful advice.

·
Registered
649 Posts
change the rear tire and get them "road force balanced". there are threads here that explain it clearly. use the search function and read

most Hyundai dealership have the "road force" type of balancer

or go to the Hunter wheel balancer website and they will tell you which shops have that balancer

IMO, i would get new tires because which is more important, Christmas presents under the tree or the safety of you and your wife and family

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have a spare tire you can use temporarily in place of the tire with the danaged belt? Driving on a tire in this condition can be dangerous if the belt is broken. I recently had a friend who suffered a blowout on the highway from a broken belt reducing the tires ability to protect itself from punctured and the tire literally exploded and sent her scrambling across 3 lanes to get the car to a stop safely out of traffic

with money being tight I would reccomend you take the car back to where you had it balanced.. Tell them you are not happy with the balancing explain to them about the horrendous vibration and demand they re balance your tires at no cost.if they are reluctant to help you tell them that you believe they have put your safety at risk by letting your car leave the workshop in that state and that you will seek legal action.

Ill agree with" judys01GT "that the best thing you can do altogetger is get yourself a new set of tires ASAP it really is the safest option.it is best to do all 4 and have them all wear evenly as tires worn at diffetent rates have different handling characteristics and in in bad weather conditions can cause the handling of the car to become unpredictable.

Thats my 2 cents anyway .. happy motoring :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
[UPDATE]
Thanks. I went back to Walmart tire center and talked to the manager. He ordered rebalancing the wheels and reinspection of the tires. They blamed the problem to uneven tire wear and a bent rim. I asked them to reverse the tire rotation as the tires reached last rotation cycle. I bought tires with 80,000 miles tread warranty and they still have 20,000 mile tread life left. That's why I hesitated to buy new tires now. Manager says that all the tires are in fair condition except uneven wear. After the reversal of tire rotation, I drove Interstate for test drive. Surprisingly, shaking and vibration stopped.

My wife will use Elantra to go to work at weekend and I hope there will be no more problem. Recently she wrecked a 2007 Honda Civic with only 39,000 miles on it. It was a total loss. We bought a brand new 2014 Hyundai Sonata. It looks fancy and applied lots of state-of-the-art technologies. The car needs a break-in time and she's afraid of wrecking a brand-new car and wants to drive Elantra to go to work for a while. She has insurance, but has lots of medical bills to pay out of pocket, though she was not injured seriously.

We also own 2003 Honda Odyssey and it has a series of mechanical issues including mysterious shuddering, check engine lights, broken motor mount, due timing belt change, etc. It has only 89,000 miles, though. All the problems started since I parked the van for six months in the backyard after we moved in to a new home.

By the way, I looked up the underneath of new Sonata and everything is covered with plastic shield except oil filter. I can't even figure out where the jacking points are. It used so many electronic control system, so I don't think new Sonata is for DIY'ers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
80, 000 mile guarantee....wow!!!, we don't get anything like that here in australia, we get 60, 000km max and miles are bigger than kilometers , thats a dam good guarantee :), I think car companies are making it harder and harder for people to work on their own cars and take them back to the stealerships and pay their exorbitant service prices (well they are here anyway)

Is the bent rim in repairable condition ?
Otherwise when you do buy a new set of tires you may still suffer the same problem that you are experiencing now.

Glad to hear your wife was ok after her accident :)... cars are replaceable , people aren't.

·
Registered
649 Posts
did the Wal-mart manager show you the bent rim?

could he suggest why he says uneven wear?

always ask alot of questions

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I saw the manager talking to the technicians and watching them briefly, but he didn't do it by himself. He says what they say.
They didn't show me the bent rim. Same thing happened a year ago. During tire rotation and balance, they told me that one rim was bent. So I went to a junkyard and bought one for $20 and have them replaced. I brought the so-called bent rim home and I am still keeping it in my garage. I examined it, but I can't tell if it was really bent. I will go to buy anothet rim and have it replaced and I will post the pics of the bent rim.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It also depends on how much it's bent, I've had bent rims before (living in NJ it's a way of life) and if it's balanced correctly you should have no vibration.

·
Registered
649 Posts
usually the manager will bring you over to the tire balancer and have the tech mount the rim only on it to spin it and show you the degree of bend

·
Registered
118 Posts
It does sound a little bit dodgy?, if the rim is bent, shouldn't they have picked up on that the first time round?

Did you see the techs actually take the tire of the rim and test the rim by itself?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think the bent rim is bad. Maybe slightly. If it was severely bent, they could not mount the tire. Like mlumz says, if the wheel was balanced correctly, I should feel no vibration.
After reversing the tire rotation, I feel very little vibration. Sometimes I feel tires rolling when I drive bad road. They are talking about the bent rim in concerns of liability that they didn't do it. As I said earlier, they told me that one rim was bent a year ago. I am still keeping it, but I can't tell if it was really bent or not. Anyway, I am going to buy another rim from a junkyard to use for next tire change.

By the way, my wife lost her Elantra key and house keys last Sunday. She might have dropped it somewhere where she works. She could not find it and so I came to her work to bring my Elantra key. The security personnel helped open the car door so as she could come inside and wait. The key was not found. I tried to start the car, but it won't start. No start motor sound. But there was dash light and head light was on, too. The security personnel disabled the car alarm to open the car door, so I thought the car alarm disabled the ignition. After I removed the fuse for start motor and put it back, I was able to start the engine. Good experience.
Now I have to buy a new car key and alarm. I called a Hyundai dealer, they say that it cost $200 with a remote.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
[UPDATE] Today I was able to remove the rear brake drums and looked inside. The shoes seems to good for 3-4 months more (3mm thickness, minimum 1.5mm required).
I discovered leaking hydraulic oil from the driver side rear strut. In this case, should I replace the strut?
Is the DIY strut replacement possible? It could be a culprit for the tires to bump on the road together with a bent rim. Other three wheels were O.K. Good discovery!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
[UPDATE] I brought my car to Goodyear service center for inspection because I still hear some rattling noise from passenger front side.
After test drive and lifted my car up to check what the problem was, they recommended as follows:

Front tires need to replace. $120
Warped rotors. Replacement cost $140
Bad front struts. Replacement $411
Need new brake pads. Ceramic pads $180
New strut cushion $340 ( I don't know why it's so much expensive.)
Alignment (3 year) $150
Wheel balance $34
etc. etc.
Total estimated cost $1,553.48

Maybe it's time to change a car? The odometer hit 300,000 miles recently.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Rotors and pads you can do yourself as little as $60 ( depends on what rotors/pads you use). Get all four struts done ( order sensen struts from eBay and find a shop to install them). I would do all four tires ($400 installed ). And then get an alignment afterwards. But this all could be explaining your problems.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked this because my car may not be worth to repair spending so much money in the light of ultra high mileage. Otherwise, it runs very good. No smoke, no oil burning, gas mileage over 30 mpg. I saw an ad in Craigslist that someone listed '06 Elantra with 78,000 miles for $4,000. I sent email three times, but he never replied. There was no phone number. I was considering to replace my car with low mileage Elantra instead of fixing it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
they forgot to include muffler bearings and you are low on blinker fluid

90% of what your car needs can be done yourself AND does it really need it or are they trying to boost sales numbers

ask yourself that question

my 78 Malibu has over 400k in mileage and still drives good with me doing the maintenance it needs

rockauto has these

2001 HYUNDAI ELANTRA 2.0L L4 DOHC : Suspension : Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly

MONROE Part # 171405 Quick-Strut
Front Left $116.79

this lookup is for my car

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
[UPDATE] I just finished changing the rear strut. There is an excellent video at Youtube by Salvador Solorio. I watched it several times before I started to work. You need to buy a spring compressor as a special tool. An impact wrench is definitely a plus. The locking nut on the top of the strut which is supposed to be replaced comes with a new OEM replacement strut. I used KYB strut. The job was not really hard, but it was challenging. It took almost four hours for me to finish, but I think I can do it within an hour next time. I test drove the car and definitely it didn't bounce any more. I checked the old strut. It was leaking oil and there was no resistence. The front struts are not leaking any oil and bouncing test of the front fender was negative and there is no dipping feeling of the front when I brake hard. I don't know why the mechanics told me two front struts, among other things, need to be replaced with a lot of money. They didn't even mention the shot rear one which I just replaced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts