Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm having a huge problem. My car won't start. I have a 2005 Elantra MT with about 136k miles on it. When I turn the key, it will not start, however, all the lights and radio and everything else, including the chime, come on. I know it's not the battery because everything works, and I was even able to charge my phone. This has happened to me in the past before, but after a couple trys, it fires up. Typically when this happened, I would just go back inside, come out like 10-15 minutes later, and it would fire right up. I always thought it was the clutch switch, but yesterday, when I went down there and disconnected it and tried to short it (unless I did it really wrong), the car still would not start. So now, I'm thinking its the ignition switch. I bought a new clutch and ignition switch, just in case, and I am going to replace them. My other thought was just to bypass everything, and say f*ck it and hotwire my car. I REALLY need to get this running again, and I don't have money to get it fixed professionally. So, with that said, are there any DIYs for the clutch or ignition switch? Has anyone done these? Are these hard? Pics? How about hotwiring a 2005 Elantra?

All the help I can get is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Even if the battery "works" it could be under the required starting voltage. It could be at around 12 volts instead of 12.6, so everything else will work, but the car will not properly start.

I posted
" New [05-10, 04:40 PM] avantegt: check battery voltage, and then check the voltage of the wires going into the starter
New [05-10, 04:40 PM] avantegt: bad starter, or the starter is not getting electricity"

...in the chat box.

You did not specify if it cranks or not, so I assumed that it didn't.

If it cranks, your starter is good. If not it is highly likely there is something wrong with it.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Like avante was saying, just because you have 12.x volts, doesn't mean the battery is good. A little change in the number after period in 12V makes a big difference, see the chart below. At idle without a charger/alternator/generator anything over 13v or under 11v the battery is bad. There is little play in battery voltages.

Everything that you state works, uses much less power than the starter. Like charging your phone takes 3-5A of power. Starters take 100-200A to start the car, its the most demanding electrical load on your car. So just because your phone can charge, don't assume you have enough power to crank a car.

However, you said it worked later after just letting the car sit. It kinda sounds like the starter solenoid on the starter. Which is part of the starter. You can take the starter off and take it to most any car parts store and they will be able to test it for you. Could be a loose wire connected to the starter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome replies from both of you. Thanks so much.

I spent my whole weekend worrying and working on the damn thing. I had to go pick my car up at work and had someone take me there. When I arrived, I put the key in the ignition and the damn car turned on. I was happy and pissed at the same time, since my work is about an hour away. As I previously mentioned, I tried shorting the clutch switch and it didn't work, so it sorta eliminated that as the problem. Over the weekend I replaced the ignition switch to be on the safe side and also eliminate that as a problem, car turned on and off all weekend.

This morning (Monday), I hopped in my car thinking it was gonna fire right up, and it didn't. You guys have no idea how pissed I was since I had worked on it all weekend and dedicated hella time to it. Luckily, over the weekend, out of curiosity and "just in case", I made sure I knew where the starter was, in case I had to try the last effort ditch of beating the **** out of it for it to start. After hella fails this morning on getting it to start, I walked back inside like a madman, grabbed a hammer, and beat the **** out of the starter, took me about 11 seconds, and it was free, since I already had a hammer. I walked into the car, turned the key, and BAM, car fired right up.

At this point I'm pretty positive I need to change out the starter. Unless of course, some wiring is bad or the voltage is off. Before I go and change the starter out and invest money/time, I'm gonna have someone read me the volts on the battery, just in case.

Now, my question is, how many times can I beat the **** out of it before my "beating the **** out of it lives" are gone? Would you guys agree that my starter is in fact bad?

BTW, the car never cranked at all and still doesn't when its not turning on but I'm turning it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your starter is definitely bad, don't chance the beating the **** out of it trick. Just replace it and you won't have any more worries out of it. They are not hard to change and if a brand new one is too much for you, call up a junk yard. I hate telling people to use junk yard parts, but $130 for a new one is high at times. Make sure if you buy a used one take it to autozone and have them run about 5 tests on it to make sure it is good

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
A car parts store will test the starter for free.

Tapping starters usually give you a few more cranks if it's spastic like you describe. You don't have to hit it hard, just 3-4 medium force wacks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts