Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty much what the title says.

I put on my nice new Mussa strut bar and decided that I should clean out the engine bay so as not to insult my new piece of hardware.

I followed all typical degreasing procedures (made absolutely sure all parts of the engine were cool to the touch, covered up my alternator, etc.) and sprayed on the degreaser.

I've degreased my engines many times before using the cheapo degreaser and it worked well, but Pep Boys was out of it so I figured I'd try the name brand stuff. BIG mistake. Not only did the degreaser make most of the engine appear dirtier than before, it completely tarnished the new Mussa bar, faded the red anodizing on my oil cap to an ugly pink, and discolored one side of the gray plug wire cover :mad:

I fixed most of the damage today. First, I painted the plug cover with Aluminum colored engine paint (it actually looks better than before).

Then I initially tried to polish off all of the faded anodizing on the oil cap to just get the billet finish to shine through. I lacked the patience to do this, however, so I painted that silver as well. It looks better than the red cap, but I'm sure the paint will probably chip as engine paint probably doesn't stick to unsanded/unprimered billet very well. I'll more than likely have to buy another cap, this time in a normal billet finish (not anodized).

The only sad part came with my Mussa bar. The bar is very well made and the aluminum is good quality, so it was actually pretty easy to polish out all of the tarnish and restore it to it's original shine, but removing the tarnish also removed the silkscreened logo. :0( At an angle, the logo still appears to be etched into the aluminum (which is cool), but for all intensive purposes, it's gone. Ah well, at least it's shiny and works.

By the way, I checked the bottle, and nowhere on the bottle did it say it wasn't safe to use on aluminum. It also doesn't explain why it discolored plastic engine pieces, or why it discolored most of the metal parts it came into contact with. It DID, say on that back, however that one of its intended uses was automobile engines....yeah...FUCK YOU Castrol!

Today I also tracked down a bottle of the cheap, no name degreaser and gave my engine a proper cleaning. Nothing got tarnished or discolored, and everything is clean.

99¢ degreaser rules.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Those name brand degreasers are strong shzit. Definately dilute it and use with caution on weak painted surfaces. Look what purple power did to my stang engine compartment. (wanted it to do this):

Before:

After:

Took the paint off like nail polish remover to a $50 manicure. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that it's strong, but it gave all the dilution ratios on the back of the bottle and there was NO dilution ratio listed for engines :0(

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
im pretty sure that when they list it for engines, its not intended to be sprayed on all the plastic parts. simple green is a pretty good degreaser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts