Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Catalyst system efficiency below threshhold. You can clear the code, but it is likely that it will come back if the problem persists. You can try to clean the converter with Seafoam, STP motor treatment, Cataclean or even lacquer thinner. If they don't help, you need a new converter. A new converter costs around $850 from dealers, but partsgeek sells after market converter for just $120.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks danielelee the code went away i guess its good thanks for your time i do use stp motor treatment from time to time

·
Registered
421 Posts
ive heard good things about cataclean. otherwise techron or seafoam. its saying the efficiency is below the threshold, meaning the o2 sensors are detecting that the catalytic converter is not doing its job so well anymore. that can be fixed by either cleaning it or replacing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Cataclean is totally waste of money and it doesn't work. The price is outrageous, almost $27 per tiny bottle. Since STP motor treatment is getting popularity, Seafoam lowered its price to match STP. Now both Seafoam and STP prices at Walmart are same, a little over $7. I guess both have almost identical chemical ingredients. STP has advantage, though because it has built-in funnel. When I used Seafoam last time, I had my finger cut when I tried to open the cap due to the sharp plastic ridge and I spilled a lot because of short neck.

·
im still a junior member?
261 Posts
Seafoam is the tits! Nothing like running it thru ur vac lines and fuel system and watching the neighbors freak out cause they think ur car is on fire!

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you pour Seafoam or any other fuel system cleaner to vacuum line to clean the fuel injectors, it will bypass them and go directly to intake manifold. It can't clean the fuel injectors. (period)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have the same code (p0501) is it that just my catalytic converter is bad ive tried stp motor treatment & seafoam should I keep trying & I have the code p0420 thats my vehicle speed sensor A do you guys know where its located.??

·
261 Posts
Odk if the auto is different but the manual is in the spindle on passenger side behind the rotor.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vehicle speed sensor range/performance http://www.obd-codes.com/p0501
Okay yeah sorry, thanks for correcting me Danielelee so is that code p0501 is the sensor on my passengers wheel well correct me if im wrong
Odk if the auto is different but the manual is in the spindle on passenger side behind the rotor.
As for spindle boostcreep does that mean sensor, sorry if yes I have a sensor behind my rotor on passenger side

I got the whole sensor of ebay brand new but could it be garbage. ???

·
261 Posts
The spindle is the proper term for the strut knuckle.

Ive thrown this code also, mine was due to a corroded wire harness

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spindle is the proper term for the strut knuckle.

Ive thrown this code also, mine was due to a corroded wire harness
Thanks boostcreep learned something today:thumbup: & I should check mines out maybe it has ripped I tied it with a ziptie to my coilover it maybe pulled it

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so my flex pipe was leaking & so I got it replaced & so now theat CEL code p0420 dont come on no more. But I still have the p0501 code

1 - 20 of 24 Posts