Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys!

Im in the plan of buying some new ECLIPSE SE8495 6x9 Rear Speaker so I would like to know how to remove the original ones... I can't seem to find a way to unscrew the originals???

Also, is it possible to add door tweeters in the front stock location if the holes was not done???
I know that the front speaker are 6 3/4" but can i fit different sizes speaker cause I can't seem to find speakers in this size.... Also what do you think about the eclipse 6x9?

Btw I have a 2006 Elantra Sedan....

Thanks

·
Wingy
795 Posts
www.onlinecarstereo.com has the proper speakers....I bought my amp and sub from them, they have good prices...it should be possible to add tweeters to your door panels. You might have to run some wires but I can't see why that is not possible....I am sure someone here has done it

·
Platinum Member #1
2,010 Posts
Hey Guys!

Im in the plan of buying some new ECLIPSE SE8495 6x9 Rear Speaker so I would like to know how to remove the original ones... I can't seem to find a way to unscrew the originals???

Also, is it possible to add door tweeters in the front stock location if the holes was not done???
I know that the front speaker are 6 3/4" but can i fit different sizes speaker cause I can't seem to find speakers in this size.... Also what do you think about the eclipse 6x9?

Btw I have a 2006 Elantra Sedan....

Thanks
the front door speakers are not going to fit no matter what you buy. you either have to install the new speakers in the baskets that the old ones come out of, or do like i did, and cut a ring out of 1/4" mdf to mount the speakers in, and then install that. theres a diy of it somewhere but i am too lazy to find it :D for the tweeters, you can just go ahead and cut a hole and mount them. its not going to hurt anything. just make sure the tweeters you get have a sufficient way of securing in the hole, and that the hole is the right size. these two details are very important with our cars because the mounting surface is not flat, and if the tweeter cannot secure tightly in the hole it will have problems. (mine fall out every once in a while because the "locking ring" on the back did not work well with the curved surface.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok Well Thanks Guys!

So for the front speaker, what size would you recommend???
For the main question that still remains, How do I install the rear speaker? I can't seem to find a way to remove the stock ones???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
To remove the rear speakers, you need to remove the rear deck/luggage rack (back dashboard thing). To do that, you will need to fold down the rear seats, and then remove the bolsters (parts that do not fold down) from the sides to reveal all the screws you need to take out. Once you get the luggage rack off, it'll be easy to figure out from there. I thought there was pictures of this somewhere?

The front speakers you buy, should come with an adapter ring. My Alpine Type-S speakers did. Using the adapter ring, everything fit just fine. The opening is for a 6-3/4" OEM speaker, most 6-1/2" speakers work with the adapter ring.

If you check Crutchfield (use for research, but buy someplace cheaper) you will see a list of 6.5" speakers that they say "Fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings" http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size|6+1/2+++++

·
Platinum Member #1
2,010 Posts
Ok Well Thanks Guys!

So for the front speaker, what size would you recommend???
For the main question that still remains, How do I install the rear speaker? I can't seem to find a way to remove the stock ones???

Thanks
6 1/2" front speakers. if you are doing tweeters too, just get a component set. i recommend Alpine type S for cost to sound quality/ volume ratio.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need to remove the rear deck in the sedan in order to get to those rear 6x9s. I found it to be a bit of a PITA to do but everything gets easier with practice.
There is a guide for that here: http://www.elantragtclub.com/elantra/id261.html

You need to proceed carefully. If you hurry or get impatient you're likely to damage the trim and otherwise get yourself into trouble. The thing I found quite hard was getting the trim panels off nicely (ie without damaging the plastic connector pins) I tried to get a set of plastic trim tools but nobody around seemed to even know about them, let alone stock them.

Since you're going to a fair bit of effort to change out all your speakers, I'd really recommend taking some additional time and effort to:
1) Put more padding into the back shelf to prevent rattling
2) add sound deadening to the doors while they're open
3) Install cross-over filters. If you don't want to buy the more expensive ones (especially actives), you can make a reasonable passive filter quite easily.
4) If you get tweeters of the right size, go to a wrecker's and get the panels with the tweeter hole & grille already there instead of trying to make the hole yourself.
5) maybe really go to town with door re-inforcement/sound box construction in the door

Taking that additional time and effort will really pay off if you do it well.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
i got blaplunk front components from crutchfield. cheap, great sound, and they send the fitment thing
Ive got the same setup - the tweeters because highs hurt my busted ear drum.
Brackets are universal and not perfect fitment, drilled holes for the speakers because there was no holes that would get all 4 mounting points, and mounting on the car is on the very edge of the bracket. and I also believe them to cause some faint rattling.

They are nice speakers, they take more power to run than the stocks, so if your going for loudness stocks will be louder, but not as clear. They do cause more vibrations in the doors so sound proofing the door is best. I did a sound test with and without dynomat in the door during my install and it was like night and day.

I am satisfied with mine, I was looking for a plain woofer that didn't have a high rms so that it would run straight off the deck.

Red dragon is right in order to get to the rears its a lot of removal steps, so you might as well sound proof the deck, trust me the sound proof on the deck is the most impressive part of the install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I recommend to establish good front acoustics and to make a noise isolation. And then, at desire to establish a subwoofer. Quality will be incomparably above, than at installation is simple 6*9 in a back shelf.
I am sorry for my bad English. :) I hope thought washing it is clear?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I recommend to establish good front acoustics and to make a noise isolation. And then, at desire to establish a subwoofer. Quality will be incomparably above, than at installation is simple 6*9 in a back shelf.
I am sorry for my bad English. :) I hope thought washing it is clear?
How about the rear speakers on a 2 door coupe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts