Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I am in the process of changing my clock color. I have everything pulled out and my only problem is trying to get the right color that I want. I have tried some stencil with while and light blue. Craft stores suck. I want the color of the lettering of this stereo:




It's like a white. How can I get this color? I want to change all of my lights to match this stereo. I am thinking about getting a alum. dash kit as well. I was looking at the cig. lighter and it's like a plastic piece over the light. How can I change this? Are the speedo and tach lights the same?

Right now, I just want to change the color of the clock.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
RonnieSan said:
Yeah... you're not going to be able to get white. Since it's the clock that's emitting the light, you can't put something over it to change it to white. Go for the red or blue.
I took the green piece off. And the clock lettering is light green even without the plastic piece.

Can I match the blue lettering? The "CD" blue letters? What would I use? The craft stores don't have the stencil I need.

This is my stereo. Can I match the red lights as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sed said:
You mean sorta like this?



or:



Thats clear plastic with crayola blue marker colored in on both sides.... Gotta have imagination and inginutiy if ya wanna mod the car

shawn :)
That's cool. Just never changed the color of a clock before. I need to know how to do it. I have modifed my car alot.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
take out the clock, then cut the little tabs of plastic glue off the green plastic in front of the clock. Then take a piece of clear plastic, color it blue (with sharpie or permanent marker) on both sides and replace the green with the blue. Now you have a blue clock.

have a nice day

shawn :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sed said:
take out the clock, then cut the little tabs of plastic glue off the green plastic in front of the clock. Then take a piece of clear plastic, color it blue (with sharpie or permanent marker) on both sides and replace the green with the blue. Now you have a blue clock.

have a nice day

shawn :)
I o'ready have the clock and the green plastic piece out. Just learning how to change the color and what to use.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Ok bro:

Use CLEAR PLASTIC. And buy a pack of SHARPIE MARKERS. Color the plastic in with whatever color you want, replace it, plug it in and see how it looks. When you get a color you like, reinstall the dash. I already told you how to do it and took pics!

shawn :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Hey, I did it too, the key is to find a piece of plastic that appears to be waaaay to dark, almost black looking. I used the plastic off a Dasani Water bottle, I just got off a portion w/o writing on it. Worked awesome!! As for the actual getting to the clock, ya just gotta be careful, and there's actually no need to take the entire dash off, just take out the screws, pop it out a little, and unscrew the clock, the connection cord should be long enough to access the LCD. On the 01-03 there is the green plastic melted on around the corners, use an exacto knife to get it off....just be careful!! I sliced my finger open!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EliteElantra02 said:
Hey, I did it too, the key is to find a piece of plastic that appears to be waaaay to dark, almost black looking. I used the plastic off a Dasani Water bottle, I just got off a portion w/o writing on it. Worked awesome!! As for the actual getting to the clock, ya just gotta be careful, and there's actually no need to take the entire dash off, just take out the screws, pop it out a little, and unscrew the clock, the connection cord should be long enough to access the LCD. On the 01-03 there is the green plastic melted on around the corners, use an exacto knife to get it off....just be careful!! I sliced my finger open!
Cool. Thank you. I went ahead and took the dash out. I detailed everything.

When I started the treat, I had the clock out o'ready. I listed that in the 1st post. I am trying a few things now.

That's messed up with the finger. I want to have some white lettering, I guess I can't do that. :werd:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Acuras have white clocks. They use a piece of transparent plastic that is like smoky gray. Maybe a gray/smoke colored lens will eliminate the slight green glow you have from the clock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dasani Water bottle plastic isn't dark enough or they have changed their plastic's. I have been to two different stores looking around for some colored plastic bottles and I had no luck.

I tried the coloring of the plastic and I don't like it. It doesn't match anything.

I am still looking into some stuff. Maybe a plexglass or the transparent plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yevRPS said:
here's a few pics from when i did it...i never did a writeup cuz it's rather simple and has been covered a lot
http://photos.spcomp.com/thumbnails.php?album=36

EDIT: the blue vinyl is from JoAnn's fabrics and crafts store. i think i used 4 or 5 layers. the red is the leftover vinyl that i got from BlueGT to do my tails
I didn't think about vinyl. You covered the green plastic piece in red vinyl?

I might go with the whole red look. It would match my stereo. I am going to go buy some vinyl. Would any type do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
no i didn't not cover the green piece with red vinyl. you can see in some of the pics that the green piece is not on the clock. i just used it to cut the right size piece. any transparant vinyl should do and you can use several layers to get the right shade of whatever color you're going after. as i said i just used the leftover vinyl i got from BlueGT for the taillights. 2 layers of that was enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yevRPS said:
no i didn't not cover the green piece with red vinyl. you can see in some of the pics that the green piece is not on the clock. i just used it to cut the right size piece. any transparant vinyl should do and you can use several layers to get the right shade of whatever color you're going after. as i said i just used the leftover vinyl i got from BlueGT for the taillights. 2 layers of that was enough.

Cool, I saw the blue pic's of your dash and they look good. I'll go pick some up. Changed my mind, I am going with a blue dash. I am going to change the colors of the cig ligher and other things that you have in your pics. Good pics, very helpful.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
yevRPS said:
here's a few pics from when i did it...i never did a writeup cuz it's rather simple and has been covered a lot
http://photos.spcomp.com/thumbnails.php?album=36

EDIT: the blue vinyl is from JoAnn's fabrics and crafts store. i think i used 4 or 5 layers. the red is the leftover vinyl that i got from BlueGT to do my tails
wow, all those red lights look killer, maybe I'll do that to my ride. At least it'll match that red light in the door. hope the vinyl works out peters73, keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
yevRPS said:
no i didn't not cover the green piece with red vinyl. you can see in some of the pics that the green piece is not on the clock. i just used it to cut the right size piece. any transparant vinyl should do and you can use several layers to get the right shade of whatever color you're going after. as i said i just used the leftover vinyl i got from BlueGT for the taillights. 2 layers of that was enough.
I got the same blue vinyl. I am using like 6 layers to get the look I want. On the center dash, I saw that you used it on 2 other spots. You are covering up a light hole and the cig. light cover.

When you layer the vinyl, piece on piece, it looks like you have air bubbles gaps.

When I bought the vinyl, it looks like a purple vinyl, but it turns blue.

How did you do the climate controls?

Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top