Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jump!
68 Posts
I have Torque for my Android and a bluetooth obd2 adapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/obdlink-mx.html

Torque is $5 in the AppStore and my adapter was $200 or so. But you can get much cheaper ones, they just may not read realtime data as quickly. But as I noticed on my Elantra, the port can only send out about 6-8 different pieces of data continuously anyway. On my girls Rav4, I can read about 55-65 datapoints at the same time.

It is a truely amazing piece of technology. Oh yea and of course you can reset and look up CELs. And since it connects to the Internet it allows you to look up more info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Torque App and adapter will only connect to OBD2 (I have this, too) , it will not connect to ABS/TCS or SRS... You will need a high-end scanner for this, I own a Snap-On Ethos for my personal scanner and it works great. It will connect to any module in the Elantra, Genesis, whatever... The only thing you dont get is bi-directional communication, (the ability to perform tests, reset adaptive learning, etc..) other than this setback it works nicely. I'm sure a used one could be had for a few hundred on eBay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can only get obd-II...all others are manufacture specific. So unless you have a hyundai scanner...your going to be able to look at them.
My snap-on scanner will give me most of the same info as the GDS... Snap-On scanners are not manufacture scan tools, but you can access manufacture specific data, more expensive scanners also give you access to function testing and some other OEM functions. The GDS is the only way to go if working on Hyundais' all day long, but for a guy wanting to work on his own car, a used snap-on will get the job done.

This is what your data options are with this scanner.. First an Elantra, then a Genesis.

100_0927 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0930 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0931 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0932 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

The Genesis actually has more available data than what I'm showing here, I just went to the top and bottom of the list and snapped pictures...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My snap-on scanner will give me most of the same info as the GDS... Snap-On scanners are not manufacture scan tools, but you can access manufacture specific data, more expensive scanners also give you access to function testing and some other OEM functions. The GDS is the only way to go if working on Hyundais' all day long, but for a guy wanting to work on his own car, a used snap-on will get the job done.

This is what your data options are with this scanner.. First an Elantra, then a Genesis.

100_0927 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0930 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0931 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

100_0932 by troy_jr_2000, on Flickr

The Genesis actually has more available data than what I'm showing here, I just went to the top and bottom of the list and snapped pictures...
Sweet device ... I will have to keep a look out on eBay. Thanks for the feedback
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts