Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Welp, first off that's not a CAI. it's a tube with a filter on it. and for $80, you can get a real one.

·
Wingy
795 Posts
that's not a cold air intake.....it is taking air from the engine, which is warm air.....the cold air intake would take air from the wheel well (usually) could be put in other places too

i got my cold air intake for $40 from ebay

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is a Short Ram Intake. If you want a cold air intake, don't buy that one. Also, if you do go with a Short Ram, you can get one for cheaper than that one. I've seen them on eBay for like $16 or so. A lot of people here seem to have the evofusion CAI or a custom made one. Someone with a CAI can chime in and give you the low down.

·
Wingy
795 Posts
just get one off of ebay...like I said...$40 shipped and I got everything with it that I need to hook it up....you can try Shark Racing, Evofusion but they are more on there

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
CAIs do nothing. Just upgrade the paper filter to a K&N filter and you will get the same performance increase, In most cases more because CAI kits come with cheap filters.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
^^ ummmm no?

although upgrading to a k&n filter is a huge plus, our stock air system is still restrictive. buy a cai and stick a k&n cone at the end of it.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
I have installed many CAI kits on trucks (trucks that a CAI is actually made and designed for, trucks that actually get cold air from the CAI) And I have installed many plain filter upgrades. Test drove several of them and never once felt the CAI give noticeable power over a filter upgrade.

All elantras have to be made out of an accord or a custom kit. And everyone I seen on an elantra ends up behind the battery, where the battery used to be (there is no cold air there, actually thats hotter air than the stock system) or in the fenderwell.

The stock air system gets air semi-directly from the grill, and if you wanted to you can route that flex pipe to the grill and get pure cold air. You can't get much colder than than directly from the grill.

Whether you live on a paved road or not sticking a filter out in the open is going to make it get dirtier faster. Which will cause you to lose performance at a faster rate than the stock system. The so called "restrictive" stock system will then in turn have better air flow.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
CAIs do nothing. Just upgrade the paper filter to a K&N filter and you will get the same performance increase, In most cases more because CAI kits come with cheap filters.
On this case, I will respectfully disagree. I've done BOTH K&N upgrades and PAnel filters on vehicles and the CAI's actually help more with MPG and throttle response in all of the vehicles I've had.

On the Elantra, the stock filter runs the "cold air" don the seide of the tank of the radiator, through multiple baffles, changing in size from the initial 2" openeing down to an inch and a half in places, up through the resonator, through a small triangle pieced pipe into the airbox. Once there, it is better, bit not great as it is ruffled up by the stock elbow and air current sucked into yet another baffle before reaching hte throttle body.

On a TRUE CAI, the filter sits directly below the battery trac in the covered wheel well behind the foglight where it recieves air from the grill opening.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
maybe on the initial install you might notice a slight increase, but few months later the stock will have a cleaner less restrictive filter than the CAI.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
um.... if you want a SRI then just pop a cone on the end of the stock tubing. Attach it to the MAF (if you have one) and call it a day!

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
But OP post a link to a SRI and labeled the thread as CAI, and hasn't posted since the first post, so you really don't know what the op wants yet.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My instructor at school said that Dropping a K&N in a STOCK SYSTEM will little to nothing. The factory tubing was designed to handle a certain amount of Air. You increase the air with the K&N but don't increase the tubing size or smooth it out it will defeat the purpose of a hi flow filter. You follow me Its tricky but I guess its true. Also he said the best CAI material would be Plastic because it doesn't conduct heat like Aluminum does.

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
All elantras have to be made out of an accord or a custom kit. And everyone I seen on an elantra ends up behind the battery, where the battery used to be (there is no cold air there, actually thats hotter air than the stock system) or in the fenderwell.

The stock air system gets air semi-directly from the grill, and if you wanted to you can route that flex pipe to the grill and get pure cold air. You can't get much colder than than directly from the grill.

Whether you live on a paved road or not sticking a filter out in the open is going to make it get dirtier faster. Which will cause you to lose performance at a faster rate than the stock system. The so called "restrictive" stock system will then in turn have better air flow.
Apparently, you haven't seen my thread:

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31289

Mine is a true CAI. It's nowhere near the battery and didn't come from an Accord. Also, the filter is reusable. You wash it, let it dry and re-install it. Good as new. It doesn't get dirty any faster than the stock filter.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
cobra, your CAI, and my CAI... are absolutely the SAME... yours just takes a different path of getting to where the filter sits... thats all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts