Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Cold Weather Suggestions

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ari95 
#1 ·
My car was bought and has survived in Florida for the first 5 years of its life without any serious issues. I recently moved to Michigan and I know that owning a car where it frequently stays below freezing is much different, but I need to know what exactly to expect. I'm not looking forward to driving in snow and ice, I'm worried the whole car will start to rust and I'm hoping the various fluids won't freeze.

So far, I have already checked and replaced the windsheild washer fluid with de-icing fluid, installed new wipers, and made sure the oil is a sufficient blend to survive the winter without freezing solid.

However, I was dismayed to discover that the shop I took my car to in 2008 to have the coolant flushed (and paid $200 for the pleasure) only filled it with water, so I have to get that changed out quick fast and in a hurry.

This morning, my car refused to start (38 degrees according to the thermometer in the garage, but 32 outside) even though it started up no issue the night previous. It would turn, but would not fire. Repeated pumping of the accelerator while attempting to start finally got it revving.

I plan on replacing the spark wires and apparently I need to change the fuel filter, as well. Sparks were changed at 32,000 with iridium plugs so they should be good till 90k or so. Fuel filter is original.

Car has 69k on it right now and I drive about 3000 miles a month.

So, besides the items outlined above, how else can I prepare for this first Michigan winter?

See less See more
#5 ·
You're not supposed to need to pump a fuel injected car to start it... try some fuel line antifreeze and change out that coolant ASAP. The expansion of water when it becomes ice is pretty significant and can cause a lot of damage.

You'll want to start a regular rustproofing routine... I don't know if they have Krown where you are, but I did that religiously each fall when I had the elantra in Montreal and a recent underbody exam looked pretty pristine (including suspension components).

#6 · (Edited)
Make sure you get a good snow brush with an ice scraper. Even if you don't park out side most of the time, it will come in handy at some point. I'll second the suggestion of some gas line antifreeze, and good wiper fluid(I usually keep an extra bottle). Also a good idea to compensate for lower tire pressure due to the cold, usually drops a few psi. You may want to have some kind of cold weather emergency kit in the car including extra hat, gloves, blanket, and a small shovel. I know I have had to dig myself out of a few parking spots when I lived in Chicago. As far as driving in winter conditions; slow is smooth, smooth is safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.