Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a minor run-in with some flying road debris and had to have my front bumper replaced. I'm not entirely happy with the paint job that they did at the body shop - I can see an ever so slight difference between the color of the new bumper and the color of the rest of the car. Other people say it isn't noticeable, but I can see it.

Do you think that it will look better with time as it fades, or should I go back to the body shop and see if they can fix it? Would a second painting be necessary, and if so would I have to pay for it? (I didn't have to pay for the original body work - the trucking company that caused the road debris paid the entire bill.) It is Chianti Red, btw.

Thanks,

Wil

:mad:

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my rear bumper when I had it replaced. It's a very slight difference and nobody can tell but me. So I didn't do anything about it.

But I guess it depends. You could talk to the body shop about it and see if they'll fix it free of charge or what.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Well with time, it will fade, but so will the rest of the paint. I would go back to the body shop and talk to them. I had the same thing happen on my Camaro, and never did anything about it, but with timeit only got worse. I highly recomend talking to them. Any reputable body shop should honor a warranty on the job and fix it with no problems.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Wil is an abstract thinker with very artistic tendencies. His Avatar is explaining the Apex of his thought process. That is my psychiatric evaluation and obviously a joke!

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
If I could tell my paint didnt match I would want it fixed. I am very picky about my car!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here's what I've done so far...

Over the weekend I gave the car a good wash and waxed everything except the front bumper. I hoped that if everything was as nice and shiny as the front bumper it would look better. Unfortunately, it didn't really look better - now I just had a clean and shiny car with a mismatched bumper.

Soooo... I just called the body shop back and made an appointment to have the car back in on Monday (my day off). I'll let you know what happens from here on.

Wil

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
If they are a good business this should get taken care of with no hassle!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK... maybe I AM going crazy. I had some people over this weekend and no one but me could see any difference in the color of the car and the new bumper. I'm supposed to take it in to the body shop tomorrow morning, but now I'm having second thoughts. Arrrrrgh! :confused:

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I am into body/fender/painting and can easily tell whether the paint is mismatched. Usually body shops are not good at colormatching paint to the car. They tend to use the paint code and go by that without trying to actually match the paint perfectly to the car. Different brands of paint; i.e. PPG, Dupont, House of Kolor will differ slightly in their tints they use. I use Dupont and PPG and if I were to get a pint of Rally Red VX paint which is on my Elantra, the tint will be slightly off on both brands of paint. Most body shops also do not blend the new paint into the surrounding panels especially when painting bumpers.

I have my painters (including myself) retint the paint exactly to the paint that is on the car. This takes skill and time to get it exact plus we always blend the new painted panel to the surrounding panels. If I painted a front bumper or added a lip kit, I would shoot the lip kit, the bumper and go into the fenders and hood, then clear the whole nose to make it exact. I also would detail the whole vehicle to make everything matched perfectly (new paint is shinier).

I also know a repaint is 3-4 times as thick as factory paint. You cannot work with a factory paint very long because it is MUCH thinner. A repaint usually has 3 base coats and 3 clear coats. Factory paint has 1-2 light base and 1-2 light clear coats. The thinner the paint, the easier it is to chip.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully this will get resolved easily and with no major hassles!

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
On Hyundai replacement bumpers, which are unpainted, they first have to be treated before primed and painted. Oils in the bumper material will seem to the surface when it gets hot and the paint will flake off, even with the flex additive mixed in.

I have to heat treat and wash it with a thinner to get the paint to stick.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
why are the bumpers like that? Is it just a more durable material or what?

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
watson80 said:
why are the bumpers like that? Is it just a more durable material or what?
All Hyundai bumper covers come unpainted and untreated. Toyota also does the same. I have tried requesting the bumpers come finished, but they don't.

To get the paint to adhere to it, even with the flex additive, you have to heat treat and wash the bumper raw material with a solvent. You could treat it without baking it, but the paint still does not stick that well.

It isn't because the bumpers are better, it is because they come unfinished. This is the problem. Most companies will prime the bumpers before shipping them to the body shop or the dealer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.