Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Oooh Car-Football Friend!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I was doing my normal six-monthly oil change, when I opened and used what I thought was a bottle of unused Magnatec. It wasn't.. It was a mix of used oil and coolant from my last service :eek: Luckily I didn't pour too much in (less than half a quart) before noticed it. I didn't start the car, walked to Repco, bought a botttle of 20w50, a bottle of 10w40, new filter and an engine flush.
I drained the oil/coolant combo, refilled with the 20w50 and engine flush, ran for 5-ish minutes, drained it and put the 10w40 and new filter on, hoping like hell that should fix it.

I'll be continuing to monitor it by checking the oil cap (the was the ever slightest, thinnest bit of white sludge, half a pinky nail in size), but the dipstick is clean as a whistle.

What are your thoughts? Should I have done more? (Constructive comments please, I know it was a silly move..)

Edit: By the way, its an '01 XD GLS 2.0 manual, 88300 mi.
3rd owner, full receipts from 34000mi, log book stamps from new (first owner was father-in-law of second owner) I maintain the car myself and up until now, no issue.

·
LikeItLoud
306 Posts
I think you took the only preventive precaution that a normal owner would have done.

You should be fine. I am sure that water manages to find itself in your oil just from condensation sometimes anyways. Maybe not as much, but at least you changed what you saw.

·
Oooh Car-Football Friend!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran it for about 30 miles last night (half of which was on the highway), I put through another engine flush, new 10w40 oil and a new filter this morning; no evidence of coolant/milky colouration in the old oil, no evidence of milky sludge under the cap after driving it this morning dropping the better half to work and going to Repco, so hopefully I've nipped it in the bud quick enough. One would hope two flushes, two oil changes and two filters would take care of it, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it and if anything looks awry, I'll change it again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts