Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im driving through joliet IL.... and i see this cop looking at my car as soon as i turn he does a U-ee in the middle of the road and shoots back and turns on his lights.... anyway his like you know why i stopped you and im like no trying to play dumb cuz i really didnt... his like you cant have tinted windows so im like grr at this point... then the guy keeps going... his like oh yea you dont have a front plate( just finished my lower grill the other day so i had it off grrr. then his like you cant have anything on your rear view mirror and then he goes to the back of my car and his like you have no light on you plates so thats illegal and finally he gives me some b.s about my exhuast system being illegal to... So he takes my drives liecence and insurance back to his car and says ill be back with you in a moment.... 20 minutes later he comes back and his like umm you gave me an expired insurance card ... thats the first ticket... which i grabbed the wrong one cuz i have a new one... but he didnt want to hear it.. Next his like i wrote you a ticket for not haveing a front plate and last i wrote you a ticket for not having light on your rear plates...even though i had. Anyway he said i should have had a ticket for my modified exhaust and i should have got a ticket for my freaking smelly things on my rear view mirror.. but he was letting me off with a warning... Now my question to you guys is this..... Do you think the following tickets could be dismissed... 1. Front windows tinted---- gonna get it taken off and take a picture for court . 2 No front plate... already put that back on and will take picture to court. 3. No valid insurance-- yet i have a valid card just pulled the old one by mistake when he stopped me. and keep in mind that i havent been stopped for speeding or any in like 2 years.... let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
482 Posts
You were driving with no front plate and he gave you a ticket for having no front plate and you're complaining about it? As for the insurance and rear light thing, are you trying to say you showed him a valid insurance card and he ignored it? You showed him your working lights in the rear and he pretended he was blind?

Grammar, punctuation and proper spelling would make that message a lot easier to understand.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The insurance one will be dismissed once you show the judge that you had valid insurance the whole time. The others, probably not. Correcting the 'illegal things' on your car will be mandated by the tickets, but I don't think they will let you off, unless you get a super-nice judge.

Here is Illinois' law about exhaust (the whole thing is longer, but this is probably the applicable part).

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
...and yea, can't have anything hanging from your mirror. They used to pull over like +20 people a day right outside of our high-school parking lot in the few days after prom - when everyone put the girl's garter on their rear-view mirror.

Was it actually Joliet that got you, or the sticklers in Shorewood/Plainfield?

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
I have always loved how when people have done something illegal, and the police officer does their job they suck.

So does that mean every time I do my job I suck? Or if anyone anywhere does their job they suck?

In reality what sucks is that you got caught.

·
The Juggernaut B*tch!!!
324 Posts
dude you got caught, face it. I am a cop and honestly if you were in violation of the law...then you are to be held accountable for your actions. i would have tickeded you.
As for the insurance...i know that in michigan and on most military installations, it is not legal to carry two proof of insurance if they are 1 from diffrent companies and 2 if one is expired...sorry you got busted.
-bill

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
With cops, you are defenseless...

They determine what you will be charged/ticketed with.

Your best bet is to be as unnoticeable as possible with your car... that means you should not have any flashy stuff, shiny wheels, fancy lights, too-dark tints, stock looking exhaust... etc, etc..

Otherwise you will always have to suffer at the mercy of cops... kind of like the situation that this little puppy is in right here:

·
Player to be named later
3,334 Posts
I've read your post through twice and I still don't understand what tickets you were given.

In my experience, though, if you go into court with everything corrected and an apologetic attitude, you stand a reasonable chance of dismissal. And even if you don't, you're out the money and that's all. From what I could make out, none of your offenses are moving violations (with possible exception of no insurance?), so you should end up with no marks on your license.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Suck it up and pay your tickets, and re-read your drivers manuals before you go on the road again. What you got busted for, with possible exception of the insurance card (I have my last six or so cards in my car, I would have been busted on that one too), is a legitimate citation.

The cop doesn't suck. You got pulled over for having an illegal setup in your car.

1) you can't have tinted windows
...surely you knew this was a problem.
2) you dont have a front plate
...surely you knew this was a problem.
3) you cant have anything on your rear view mirror
...I knew about this law in PA in middle school, man.
4) you have no light on you plates so thats illegal
...you say you do have lights on your plates. Why would he say you don't?
5) my exhuast system being illegal to
...Is it?

Be glad you got as few citations as you did :b

·
With Odin on our side...
267 Posts
The exhaust you might get away with. Reason being, he didn't have an instrument to measure how loud the exhaust really was. Even if the law gives a base line measurement, you would need even instrument to verify it. Just like the radar guns. This is assuming your not running an obnoxiously loud opened fart can exhaust system. Just my opinion.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the law about nto having things on your rearview mirror national. Because my university police, give out parking things to hang from the rearview mirrors, and my high school also did.

Does anyone know if this is a law in Alabama?

·
The Juggernaut B*tch!!!
324 Posts
as long as the object is hidden behind the rear-view and does not obstruct your view, you are ok. If it is simply for a parking pass, such as handi-capped or specific parking areas, it is ment to be taken off as soon as you get back into the car.
-bill

·
Player to be named later
3,334 Posts
bfgoedeke said:
The exhaust you might get away with. Reason being, he didn't have an instrument to measure how loud the exhaust really was. Even if the law gives a base line measurement, you would need even instrument to verify it. Just like the radar guns. This is assuming your not running an obnoxiously loud opened fart can exhaust system. Just my opinion.......
You do NOT have to have an instrument to enforce a law. Plenty of speeding tickets were given out prior to the invention of radar guns. And a cop knows when an exhaust is too loud. The court will side with him every time if it's your word against his.

If you challenge it in court, you may be able to get it thrown out if *you* have intrumented test results showing a reasonable sound level. But if it is not a stock set up and sounds different and at all louder, you will probably still lose.

You may not think this is fair, but face it: Life ain't fair.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, im gonna side with tdx... Here in WI you are not required to have a front plate. Many people have something on front for decoration (mostly mexican flags or whatnot) Depending on your tint% you can get it tested and if its within the parameters. A license plate light is another thing u should be ticketed for, and stuff on your rear view mirror idk about because cops around here are pretty cool wen it comes to tint, or no plates. Hell half of these mexican cars rollin around dont have any plates....

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
^^^Thing is, he's in Illinois. Illinois vehicles are not allowed to have ANY tint on the front windows, and MUST have a front license plate.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Yep. Sucks to have to know the law. Sucks even more to know the law, knowingly break it and then get caught. Of course, it doesn't suck as much as finding people whining about getting caught . . . . .

·
Registered
59 Posts
lol if only u lived in cali cops have way better things to do then stop ppl for to illegal of tint or no plate....i have .05% tint on my front and my plate is in my front window...smoked tailights with a dark painted car so u cant see anything and ive yet to be stopped...ive even gotten looked at by a police officer at a red light right next to me but they wont me over. I guess there always on a donut run lol.

But that sucks man. No tint at all like everyone said wow. the insurance thing will be removed i bet when shown the updated insurance card.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Whomever feels compelled to read the ILCS regarding window tint:

IL Tint laws said:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑503)
Sec. 12‑503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502.
(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.
(d) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device, controlled by the driver, for cleaning rain, snow, moisture or other obstructions from the windshield; and no person shall drive a motor vehicle with snow, ice, moisture or other material on any of the windows or mirrors, which materially obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway.
(e) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when the windshield, side or rear windows are in such defective condition or repair as to materially impair the driver's view to the front, side or rear. A vehicle equipped with a side mirror on each side of the vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502 will be deemed to be in compliance in the event the rear window of the vehicle is materially obscured.
(f) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section shall not apply to:
(1) motor vehicles manufactured prior to January 1,

1982; or
(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered in

another jurisdiction.
(g) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to the motor vehicle for the purposes set forth in item (1) or (2) before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 and:
(1) that is owned and operated by a person afflicted

with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment, or disease which would require that person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun; or
(2) that is used in transporting a person when the

person resides at the same address as the registered owner of the vehicle and the person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun;
It must be certified by a physician licensed to

practice medicine in Illinois that such person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from such illness, ailment, or disease and such certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment applied or affixed before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician, but in no event shall a certificate issued for purposes of this subsection be valid on or after January 1, 2008. The person shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.
This subsection shall not be construed to authorize window treatments applied or affixed on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997.
The exemption provided by this subsection (g) shall not apply to any motor vehicle on and after January 1, 2008.
This subsection (g) does not apply to the exemption set forth in subsection (g‑5).
(g‑5) Paragraph (a) of this Section does not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to a motor vehicle that:
(i) is owned and operated by a person afflicted with

or suffering from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism; or
(ii) is used in transporting a person who resides at

the same address as the registered owner and is afflicted with or suffers from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism.
It must be certified by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Illinois that the person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism and the certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address, and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician. The owner of the vehicle shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.
(h) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to motor vehicle stickers or other certificates issued by State or local authorities which are required to be displayed upon motor vehicle windows to evidence compliance with requirements concerning motor vehicles.
(i) Those motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (f)(1) of this Section shall not cause their windows to be treated as described in paragraph (a) after January 1, 1993.
(j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500. A second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and the violator fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.
(Source: P.A. 94‑564, eff. 8‑12‑05.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
the insurance charge you can have dismissed with the current one. the rest...i live in AZ so none of it's illegal, but I would guess you're stuck with paying it. it happens.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright let me fix the statement that i made about "COPS SUCK" cops dont suck just the ones that have nothing better to do and write B>S tickets that waist time do. So I went to court today with my correct insurance card and everything else correct and here is the funny thing; i took pictures of the car with the date on them to show the judge and he complimented the car after dismissing all the tickets. Ok now here is the real funny thing; mister lazy cop showed up and gave me some nasty look as i walked out from having everything dissmissed. So i get out to the hallway and lol one of my friends who has a lancer is there cuz he got a ticket lol and the cop passes both of us talking. At this court house the parking lot is super small and i got a good spot so i parked close cause im totally legal now right; after finshing talking to my buddy i walk around a corner to the parking lot and notice that same cop doing a walk around of my car and then what looked like him spitting on my car. Once i get up to my car his sitting in a squad car like 5 spots down and the jerk spit on my car.... what a dip-sh*t. So im like whatever i can wash that, im out of this sh*t hole town. Ok back to my statement about cops sucking so i can clear things up. I can tell you that all the cops in my area know me and found nothing wrong with the mods that i have done to my car and many are glad that the car doesnt have a big wing on it or blue lights or even better a super large load fart can ( nothing wrong with fart cans... just the ones that make you heard from 3 miles away). Anyway i know if you break the law you better be ready to pay some fines i.e speeding... wreckless driving , street racing ; things that i attempted to do in my earlier days. All im saying is this single cop did suck and wanted to play at his job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts