Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to copy an ignition key of my new 2010 Elantra gls.
But the owner's manual warns that only Hyundai original ignition keys can be used. Because if an aftermarket key is used, the ignition switch may not return to ON position after START. If this happens, the starter will continue to operate causing damage to the starter motor and possible fire due to excessive current in the wiring? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
What? I made a copy of my key for my XD, I had to. One night at work I walk out to my car and pull my keys out and my key was missing the teeth. It was just the grip. I, to this day, have no idea what happened to the rest of the key. Anyways, I had to call AAA out. They came out and made a key on site right then and there. It would have cost $200 but since I am a gold member it was $100. It was just a flat copy key that they made. That night I ordered a blank on ebay so for four or five days I used the copy. When I got it, I went to Home Depot, made them make a copy from the flat one to the Hyundai one. Now, the Hyundai one is on my key chain and the flat one is in my wallet in case something like that ever happens again. That was about a year ago. I have never had any problems regarding the starter or ignition.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I got a copy for my XD2 & it works fine it turns on & off. I got it just to have an extra. If I forget my keys inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
2010 Elantra is HD, but the factory Hyundai key looks no different from XD or ebay key above. Maybe it's just a scare tactic from Hyundai? Attached is my 2014 Sonata key. It looks weird and I am wondering if it still can be copied. What about keyless entry fob? Can it be duplicated?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There has yet to be an elantra with an immobilizer until this year on the new push to start models, minus Canadian models. A simple copy and cut key will work just fine. They should be no more than 10-20$ at a dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts