Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cloth all over my doors (not just armrests anymore)

I'll preface this by saying, I'm in a punk band, and I drag around half an amp stack and a full kit of drums in my car. So the rear of my car is pretty dinged up. Well, something caught one of the foamy bits of the armrest and ripped a hole in it last week, and I figured I might as well get to that as soon as I had time.

Well, basically following the information at the GT club DIY for the front armrest, I went to WalMart, bought some scrap cotton tweed/denim looking material for $1.00, got some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive (which I want to find all kinds of new uses for) and went nuts.

There are two foamy parts to the arm rest. I initially tried to figure out how to cover the one on the inside, since it's smaller, but there was way too much wrapping and bending, and I didn't want to take off the foam to copy the pattern. Pain in the ass, couldn't figure it out, went for the bigger part.

That was super easy to do. Sprayed the adhesive on the top of the armrest, put the fabric on, and stretched it a little to make sure there were no wrinkles. I then cut out the rest of the pattern, sprayed adhesive where it counts, and wrapped that all around. It ended up looking and feeling really nice. I wish I had the patience to redo my entire interior, but I know the drums would just scratch that up some more.

Anyhow, here's a pic. I realize this is nothing fancy, but I'm proud, heehee.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so pleased by this cloth and the 3M adhesive spray that I've decided to put this on my front sidepanels overtop the brown fuzzy bits that are there now. Already did the drivers side, gonna do the passenger side (and take pics) now :)

I'm not real flashy with my car, I just wish they offered a nice black interior. I realize now I can accentuate some things pretty easily with some spray glue and some cloth.

Okay, took what was left of the cloth, and did the side panels on my front two doors. There was still some left, so desparate to use more of this spray on adhesive, I did the black bit by the rear view mirrors, since you can just pop that sucker off.

Maybe tomorrow I'll do the back door cloth section of the panels too. Who knows :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
good job, I couldn't tell that it wasn't stock if I didn't alreaddy know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts