Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, the link doesn't work. Anyways, that does sound to good to be true. I would say you made the right decision between the two. Wish I could see the link. So it's in Tennessee, what city? Maybe I can look it up that way.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/4824948012.html

I pulled it up just fine, but I would expect the mileage to be higher. Granted it is the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine, and they are known to chew up timing belts very quickly, it makes me wonder if the motor might have been changed due to the timing belt stripping. The low mileage indicates that. Otherwise, it may have sat a long time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I called the seller and asked some questions, but he couldn't explain well. I see nobody list their home address in the listing out of security concern, but he does. Maybe he wants to make people believe? I went to his apartment complex parking lot to look for the car, but the car was nowhere to be found. The nearby street views are completely different from the pictures in Craigslist. There are absolutely no palm trees in Tennessee. It is forecast that tomorrow's lows will hit -1°F (-18°C).

Thanks cclngthr. I have 2014 Sonata with 2.4 GDI engine. It is super powerful. When I pass or merge in the interstate, I always try not to speed. If I push gas a little hard, it goes up to 90 mph in a matter of seconds. I feel it like a sports car. It is easy to speed. By the way, it's not even turbo and it is very fuel efficient. I drove just over 10,000 mile for past one year.
When I bought it from a local Hyundai dealer, I asked the salesman about the timing chain change because it is equipped with timing chain. It is my understanding that timing chain doesn't need to changed. But he said that he used to be a mechanic before he became a salesman. He said that timing chain need to be changed after 100,000 miles. Is it right?

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I called the seller and asked some questions, but he couldn't explain well. I see nobody list their home address in the listing out of security concern, but he does. Maybe he wants to make people believe? I went to his apartment complex parking lot to look for the car, but the car was nowhere to be found. The nearby street views are completely different from the pictures in Craigslist. There are absolutely no palm trees in Tennessee. It is forecast that tomorrow's lows will hit -1°F (-18°C).

Thanks cclngthr. I have 2014 Sonata with 2.4 GDI engine. It is super powerful. When I pass or merge in the interstate, I always try not to speed. If I push gas a little hard, it goes up to 90 mph in a matter of seconds. I feel it like a sports car. It is easy to speed. By the way, it's not even turbo and it is very fuel efficient. I drove just over 10,000 mile for past one year.
When I bought it from a local Hyundai dealer, I asked the salesman about the timing chain change because it is equipped with timing chain. It is my understanding that timing chain doesn't need to changed. But he said that he used to be a mechanic before he became a salesman. He said that timing chain need to be changed after 100,000 miles. Is it right?
Timing chains rarely need to be changed if the car is maintained properly, regular oil changes and the like. Most chains last 200+K miles if not longer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The car scams on craigslist are usually just bait and hook scams rather than attempted murder/kidnapping. There was a Mustang Saleen in awesome condition, 80k miles, and for only 5k. but i noticed the seller seemed dodgy, and not too interested in selling it, and there were multiple listings for the same vehicle, different camera angles, and 2 different sellers. I figured odds are it was probably to get me to go see some podunk dealership so he can try to talk me into something else.

·
Registered
421 Posts
when in doubt, look at the blue book value of the car, decide if its worth paying that, then try to talk em down. a lot of times when they are asking way too much, they wont have any buyers. so an 04 sonata is already 10 years old, regardless of the 50k miles, its value has dropped. so id find a good one with a price you dont want to pay, and offer a price you do want to pay. maybe low ball him a little bit and let him work it up a bit from there.
But i have seen plenty of good cars go for a low price, and have nothing wrong with em. maybe they just need their usual maintenance, like belts, fluids and tires, and the owner just wants to get it out of the driveway quick.
best s to use your intuition. If it seems off, just walk away. If you really want to see the car, ask to meet in a public place.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for your useful advice, fenixingntion. It will help me a lot. I had bitter experience to buy a used car long time ago. I should have it checked by a mechanic before to buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts