Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a 2004 Elantra VE (Canada).

My wife was coming home this afternoon and 3 doors down from our house, hit a patch of ice while going around a corner and hit the curb with the front passenger wheel.
She said it made very loud impact. She was only going about 30kph.

She tried to drive home the remaining 100 feet or so, but only made it about 20 feet before the car didn't want to go forward anymore.

I took a look and can see some significant damage. Obvious from the outside is the wheel has been pushed backwards and is rubbing against the fender/mud guard. Climbing underneath, I can see the control arm is bent in a couple places. See pics below.

My mechanic buddy thinks a garage will probably be a couple grand to fix. He thinks himself around 500-750.
We're trying to decide whether to fix it ourselves with mechanic friend, or to go through insurance. If it's gonna be 750 or under, I'd prefer to do do it on our own, since deductible is 500 anyway.

Can anyone tell anything from the attached pics?

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Bumper Fender

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Frame damage. (notice how the gap to your fender and door is tighter on the bottom).

It will require putting it on a frame machine and pulling it forward.
After getting the frame straight. A lot of suspension and steering components will need to be checked an replaced.
Lastly an alignment must be done.

You're looking at about $1,000-$2,000 of damage.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
this same thing happened to my tib...from the pics it looks like all you need is a control arm...Its meant to bend like that just incase something like this happens. You might have to replace the subframe as well...maybe the tie rod end

overall your looking at 300 for the arm, 300 for the subframe, and 50 for the tie rod...and 75 for a new axel for good measure. Then 100 bucks for an alignment. No real body damage has occurred. You do NOT need to be straightened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like we got lucky.
Garage says need new control arm and new sway bar link
They want 339 for control arm w/ball joint, and 164 for sway bar link with bushing.

Local part store has control arm w/ball joint for 110, and sway bar link with bushing for 30. Think I'll have my mechanic buddy replace it for me. those parts and a case of beer are much cheaper :)

Also need a new rim. They suggest new tire as well since it has a big scuff, but it's not leaking air so I am inclined to keep it for the remainder of life it has.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
be careful driving on that tire. it could be damaged internally, the steel belts could have shifted or been moved or damaged. go to a junkyard and buy 1 use oem size tire, and then rotate your rear wheels to the front and put that rim n new used tire in the back.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Still needs frame work. You can look at the gaps and tell. The control arm damage is obvious because it's bent.

Measure the gap on the passenger side, then measure the gap on the driver side. If there is a difference your frame is bent.

It's not hard to have a car's frame straightened. Uni-bodies pull out easy. And it will only require a single pull, and highly doubt it will be a combined pull. It should run ~$200-$250.

Better to do it right the first time, than to have to get it done again and a second alignment.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
I know what the fender gap is supposed to look like. That is too tight on the top and the bottom. Tighter more at the bottom.
My Elantra has been on the frame machine 4 times.

That is the first gap to get out of line when there is front frame damage.

Heres some gaps to compare: (from rim thread)

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
At the bottom, the fender is pinched against the rocker panel. This is not normal, there should be a gap. An alignment will not pull the fender off the lower rocker.

The picture suggests the frame is pushed down and back.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Smiley... You would piss your pants if you saw my cars driver side fender gap...
The gap was even after the hit and run, but after it was repaired it was all crooked the gap is huge now. I think my fender is on crooked by the POS repair place.

Smiley has a good point. If it is bent, it should be pulled.

It is all up to the discretion of the owner though. An alignment will get rid of any steering problems because the damage looks minimal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts