Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors go for on our cars? Also how much are stock rotors?

I know people who have a machine shop, and am wondering how much it would be to have them make them. I know the've done some brake stuff for hondas.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Got my dimpled and slotted rotors from Shark Racing, with Hawk pads for 200 bucks. They work extremely well! Huge improvement over stock rotors.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do stock rotors cost?

Do '04s use the same ones as 01-03?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do not have your frinds drill blanks. The could very easily hit a vein and cause a tiny little stress crack that can not be seen but will cause the rotor to crack while braking.

I have the KVR rotors and KVR carbon fiber pads and love them.
http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Make sure when you buy a set of performance rotors that you get a set that have been cast with the holes and slots in them. The problem with the ones that are actually drilled and then milled is, when they do this, it weakens the rotors. I know that Raybestos, Baer, and the BIG companies actually cast the rotor with the holes and slots in them. Check them out before ordering them...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard on here that '04 have captive rotors, how much harder does that make them to change?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I though they were talking about '04s.

No one has answered as to wheather '04 uses the same rotors as 01-03. A lot of places do not have 04 listed yet.

·
Registered
378 Posts
To add to what 04 elantra cvvt said, just because it is a big name doesn't mean they were not drilled after casting. Companies out there will buy Brembo blanks and improperly drill them and resell them as Brembos. Mistakes can be easily avoided in purchasing such rotors by asking a few simple questions such as does that company make drilled rotors for my car and is the company I am buying them from an authorized distributor.

Hyundai stopped using captive rotors in mid '99 and nothing from 2000 on had them. I also highlly doubt anything Hyundai puts out ever again will have them since they are a service nightmare.

·
Registered
741 Posts
jameswing said:
Oh, I though they were talking about '04s.

No one has answered as to wheather '04 uses the same rotors as 01-03. A lot of places do not have 04 listed yet.
Its the same bolt pattern so you should be able to use them no problem.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yea, same question Carbon???

I sent an email to that company Carbon got his from in the link, and asked if they were made with the holes and slots in them, or if they were machined from blanks. Here is their reply:

These rotors are manufactured OEM, meaning they do not come cross drilled. We get your exisiting OEM specification rotors and CNC machine them, and silver zinc plate the rotors to make them more durable. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
carbonman said:
No I haven't even received them yet, they only shipped them 9 days after I paid/won the auction

That sucks, I have had people wait like that before. I saw an auction and the guy said he only shipped items on the 1st & 15th of the month to make it eaiser for him.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
don't get cross drilled and slotted, cross drilling cools the rotors down and reduces brake fade, slotted rotors heats up the pads and "shaves" the pads making them melt on the rotor. slotted rotors are primarily used for racing. having both applications defeats the purpose of having slotted or cross drilled since they counter act each other. stock rotors are $80.00 cad at the delearship. go w/kvr's. www.kvrperformance.com they work great.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
4mynikka said:
don't get cross drilled and slotted, cross drilling cools the rotors down and reduces brake fade, slotted rotors heats up the pads and "shaves" the pads making them melt on the rotor. slotted rotors are primarily used for racing. having both applications defeats the purpose of having slotted or cross drilled since they counter act each other. stock rotors are $80.00 cad at the delearship. go w/kvr's. www.kvrperformance.com they work great.
One of the purposes of the slots is to sweep the dust away from the surface of the pads. They don't shave the pads down. I ran them for a long time and the pads actually lasted longer that with the stock rotors. The cross drilled and slotted rotors actully complement each other.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Huh? Maybe if the slots and holes were not chamferd, But even then everything wears smooth.

Holes allow the disk to cool faster and slotting allows the gases that build between the pad and the rotor surface to escape. It does seem like over-kill to have both.

I have drilled and slotted rotors that were done from blanks. I bought them off JPJR and I can't remember where he said he got them from tho... it was off Ebay. I would rather have just slotted rotors but JPJR made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

By the way, I drive the shit out of them including autox so if there is going to be a problem, I'm sure I will find out.

Also, can you have them resurfaced?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts