Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Romans 8:28
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. If anyone wants custom cloth seat covers much like Katskinz, but not leather, you can get them made for about $640 from www.autoupholsterykits.com. You need to send them the original upholstery from the front passenger seat and the entire rear seat. They take six weeks to make. Maybe if more than one person is interested in making these we can have one person send in the upholstery and have multiple custom covers made from the pattern.

I want to do it, I just don't want to send in my upholstery. Maybe SuperGLS can send it in since he has new seats and all and he can send his old ones. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yeah, I could probably do that, but I don't know how to de-upholster the seats. Plus, I wouldn't know how to put re-upholster them when they sent them back (they would send them back, right?).

On another interesting note, they have molded carpet also, good find Ronnie.

If you guys definately wanna do this, let me know, I'll need a couple weeks to get around to de-upholstering the old seats (you all know by now I'm a lazy ass).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
What do you expect for a custom made interior from a well known and respected company. If you want everything for $50 or less you might want to look into model cars. This really is a good price, try to find it cheaper for the same quaility. If you can I'll give you $20 and let you kick me in the nuts. Damn am I tired of seeing people be shocked about prices that are industry norm.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
If they get the pattern (AND MAKE THEM SO THEY WILL ALLOW AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT) I would save the $ up for full covers right now!

If you dont mind sending in your seat covers SUPERGLS, that would friggin' rule and anyone who got seatcovers from this day on would be required to :bowdown: to you!

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I have full confidence that the cloth covers working with the airbags. The leather covers work with the airbags and I can't imagine they wouldn't keep the stiching and everything the same.

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so you guys know... these guys aren't Katzkin. They are an independent company that makes covers, but they also sell Katzkin covers. I'll write a letter to the guy today and get all the details and maybe a discounted price for all of us.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do custom interiors so I can tell you that you probably wont have much trouble getting the old covers off. Usually a good set of cutter plyers is all you need with newer cars. however, getting the covers back on may be a little more difficult depending on whether or not the XD has hogrings in the covers. If not it will probably be just velcro and with that you should be golden. I suppose the hardest part of the whole ordeal is getting the covers lined up and pulling all the wrinkles out once you get the new covers. Hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
2GTS said:
What do you expect for a custom made interior from a well known and respected company. If you want everything for $50 or less you might want to look into model cars. This really is a good price, try to find it cheaper for the same quaility. If you can I'll give you $20 and let you kick me in the nuts. Damn am I tired of seeing people be shocked about prices that are industry norm.

No one said anything about $50, and a local shop can do this for that kind of money. I just feel $640 for cloth is high, but you are correct this is custom. A local shop will spend more time and effort to please a customer face to face than some just some address they are shipping to. Also remember we are all entitled to our own opinions.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
So what is your local shop quoting you? I'd bet it's pretty close to that number. I would agree that I'd rather have a local place do it instead of having something come in the mail from a place I never been to and seen the work first hand but that really doesn't have much to do with the price. I thought I'd seen posts from you complaining/being shocked a prices on other things before, sorry if that wasn't you. I might be confusing you and someone else. I just hate people that whenever a price is posted their response is "Ohh my god that's expensive" when the price is actually reasonable and comparable to other items on the market. There is always some jack ass that says they can get it $xx dollars cheaper and blah blah blah, well if you can how about sharing the info.
I'm not hating, don't take it personal.

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, to some people, $640 is a lot no matter what you're spending it on.

Anyways, here's the info I got back from the upholstery guy.

Thanks For your email. First of all, I must stress that these are not seat covers in the traditional sense. It is replacement upholstery and fastens to the seats in the same manner as the original upholstery. You must remove your original upholstery before you install the new upholstery. Seat covers merely slip over the original upholstery and generally do not fit well.
If you choose replacement upholstery, I can make the accommodations for the side airbags. The seat upholstery kit contains the front seat upholstery for the backrest and cushion of each bucket seat, and the rear seat upholstery for the entire rear seat, but does not include the headrests and any material for the door panels.
If you do a group buy (three or more at a time), I will throw in the headrest covers and the door material. Otherwise the headrest covers are $50.00/pair and the door material is $18.00 for enough to do the door inserts. The rear center armrest cover is included in the seat kit.
There are many types of materials available today. They range from the traditional automotive fabric used in today's cars to specialty cloth in unusual colors. The quote I gave is for materials in the $18.00/yard price range. If you choose a more expensive cloth, it will be reflected in the price of the seat upholstery.
Once I have a pattern, I can make the seat upholstery in many different styles to suit your individual tastes. I can sew in different designs, two or three tone, add piping in same or contrasting color, use different types of materials such as fur or suede, and much more. This way each kit can be customized to reflect the owner's personality and desires. If you can dream it, we can make it.
Let me know if there is enough interest in this project to move forward.

So who's interested?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The guy sounds reasonable, I can tell you that at my shop we generally 500-700 for seats in cloth, depending of course on the type of material you get. However, just remember that he is going to cut the old covers up to make the patterns, so whoever sends in there covers better make sure they are very specific in what they want. Otherwise your going to be up shits creek without a paddle. If anyone lives near me they can come to my shop :D. Heres a link with some pics, we have also been in Lowrider mag before as well as won some best interior comps. The estimate thing is dead :poke: so dont worry bout that.

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I take it no one is interested in doing this anymore? I guess I'll have to go with Katzkin "leather."

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's cool super. I think I'll go the "cheaper" route and just go with Katzkin. It will still look sweet just won't be as comfortable.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
You still got those seats around Super.....definitely considering custom cloth covers (I wish the airbags were not in the seats...then we all could put whatever we wanted in the car)....but cant live without having my covers on my seats for however long it takes to get replacements made!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts