Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know a lot of you guys/girls don't like the stock crooked H grille.

I know for sure that I hated mine.

Here is what I did to fix that.

Sorry its 11:00PM so no pics till tomorrow.

1. Pull the grille off the car.

2. Using Dikes (cutters, some people call them wire cutters), cut all the inside of the grille out. So where the H is, and all the black vertical plastic surrounding it.

3. File down all the small pieces of plastic that will inevitably be left inside the grille, so you are left with a border of the former grille.

like:

When you have gotten this far its time to choose the color of the actual grille and the borer. I chose black on black simply because I was too broke to buy too cans of paint lol.

but what you do is use some 100 - 200 grit sandpaper and sand the crap out of the chrome all around the outside of the border.

once its good and ruffed up, you want to wash the whole thing in some very hot water to clean off any particles that might show up in the paint.

Now, what i did was went to home depot and bought a roll of plastic gutter guard for like 3.00. Its bendable and exactly the right size to fit in between the border.

I used black spray painted tie wraps and contact cement to adhere the grille to the border after the paint dried.

Pics tomorrow

any more help needed, pm me

shawn :)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats not the driveway, its a walkway and its in the middle of repouring from the townhouses landlord type guy, so i figured why not its getting ripped up in a couple days anyway.

As far as anyone saying it looks like "ass" thats cool, this is just the first prototype of many, i just thought i would share the idea, and someone can take it and run with it....

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
new grille will be done this weekend... once again, this grille was a PROTOTYPE only... Its not like I am showing the car!!!!

When I am done with it I am sure you guys will like it...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Question for you Sed or anyone. Did you leave the rubber gasket off of the top of the grill? That rubber piece is a pain in the neck. I basically re-finished my grill, I made it all black and left the "H" chromed. But I removed the gasket and painted the grill and I re-installed the gasket. I don't like how it turn out. I am thinking about removing the rubber gasket all together and re-finishing it. There might be a little gap between the hood and the grill.

My grill:
http://www.elantraxd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=9657

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts