Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 97 Accent GT that is my fiancee's car and right now I want to drive that damn thing into a wall and collect all $500 insurnace dollars I can get. The car has been taken care of OK, I don't drive it much and the little lady isn't really car smart so some thing have gone longer than they should but overall it's been well cared for. About a month and a half ago I had $1400 worth of work done to make it run right again, full tune up/new IM gasket/new flex pipe(old one cracked)/new 02 sensor and some rear suspension pin or something. No more than a week or two later she starts complaining that the front brakes are making a nasty noise. After a couple failed attempts to synch our schedules and get the car in, we dropped it off last night. I had a wonderfull conversation with the tech this morning and found out I need about $900 worth of calipers rotors and bearings with about $300 of that in labor. Thank you Hyundai for using FUCKING CAPTIVE ROTORS. This probably would have been $500 less is Hyundai used the same damn brake technology everybody else has used for the past 25 years. I had almost paid off the credit card from the last repair bill and now another $900. I hate spending money on this car but I only have one more payment and then it's paid off. I really wanted to be able to have a while when we only had one car payment but this damn Accent is making me want to sell it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sympathize with your problems man, I had an Excel that tried to break me but why in the name of all that is holy would you pay for an Accent for SEVEN DAMN YEARS!!!??? Do you realize that with interest you probably paid thirteen thousand dollars for that car? I had lousy credit when I bought my first Hyundai but I refinanced that Beeotch ASAP! Sorry for the rant but I hate to see people getting screwed by the Finance Dept. Especially when the car starts to fall apart while you're still paying for it.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was bought used for about 5k on a 36 month loan. I know better than to take out a 7 year car loan. The thing that is really pissing me off is the car is supposed to be saving us money once it's paid off but these damn repair bills aren't making that possible right now. Hopefully this is the last think for a while.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
uhm I don't know how technically adept you are, but you can change calipers/rotors/pads very very easily... Why pay someone to do it?

shawn :)

Oh if you need help pm me I'll walk you through it!

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
sed said:
uhm I don't know how technically adept you are, but you can change calipers/rotors/pads very very easily... Why pay someone to do it?

shawn :)

Oh if you need help pm me I'll walk you through it!
Not an easy job on a captive rotor system. You have to pull apart the front hub before you can unbolt the rotor off. It's PITA...

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep that's why I was cursing the damn captive rotors. If it were my Xd I'd be at my uncle's playing with all his tools. I hate to pay the cash but this one is beyond me and my tool's capabilities and I just don't want to mess with tearing that stuff apart on a 97 with 70k miles in the Chicago area. I almost feel sorry for the poor slob that has to fight the rust to get it all apart. Anyone that want to paypal me $900 to make my day good again PM me for my info ;)

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Quick question, but who gave you the quote? Was it like a midas or something? Just asking, because most brake shops like that always do CPR: Calipers, Pads and Rotors, whether they are needed or not. I've been here in the dealership for over three years and have never seen an Accent or any other Hyundai need calipers. Just a thought.

Oh, wait. There was one 97 Tib that needed front calipers, but the lady drove so far on her pads that they fell out and the caliper piston was doing the stopping. The reason she finally brought it in was because the right front wheel wouldn't move. The piston popped out of the caliper and wedged in there somehow!

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
any used car you buy will have problems...period. I only wish that you had invested your money into a honda so you'd have some resale value. tough break

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Resale isn't an issue. The car should be good for another 40k with just regular maintance and after that I don't care if I only get $500 for it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just had to pay 200 bucks for a shop to press my axle out of the knuckle cause the rust had fused it in there in addition to the 250 dollar CV joint and Boot Kit i tried to replace myself. The guys at the shop said they have never had an axle that hard to get out.... ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts