Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here is the situation...I did my springs a few days ago. When I was doing the passenger rear I tried to get the endlink nut off on the top where it mounts to the strut(came off fine on the drivers side) it wouldn't come off the bolt just spins so I ended up just taking the nut off the swaybar side of the endlink.

Well now I can't get the nut tight on the top (Only needs to be tightened maybe an 1/16") where it mounts to the strut. And because of it Iget a knocking from the endlink moving on the strut mounting point.

I remember reading a post where someone gave a way to tighten the nut when this happens but I can't find the post...can anyone help, I need to get this fixed...Thanks guys

--NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
what are you using to tighten the nut? power rachet / air gun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am just tryin to tighten it with a regular Ratchet and socket.

Edit: I did try usin my air ratchet with no positive results either.

--NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
04 elantra cvvt said:
You need an impact wrench. Don't just sit there and hammer on it though, just hit it in little bursts. The nut will still turn, but if you just pop it a little bit, it will tighten it.
I did try the impact wrench but i will try it again...any other suggestions.

--NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its all fixed now...impact wrench in bursts was no good the bolt just kept spinning...so I took a step back, took a deep breath and looked at the bottom part of the endlink where I disconnected it from the Swaybar. On the back of the bolt before it gets to the joint you can use a 14mm open-ended wrench and hold the bolt so it doesn't spin. Its really hard to see that you can do that because of the rubber boot covering the joint area. But its all fixed now and no more clunking. And I can drive and enjoy those Apex Springs now.

--NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup so am I...Thanks for all the help m8.

--NY
 

·
Rebel Scum
Joined
·
745 Posts
NorthernYankee said:
Well its all fixed now...impact wrench in bursts was no good the bolt just kept spinning...so I took a step back, took a deep breath and looked at the bottom part of the endlink where I disconnected it from the Swaybar. On the back of the bolt before it gets to the joint you can use a 14mm open-ended wrench and hold the bolt so it doesn't spin. Its really hard to see that you can do that because of the rubber boot covering the joint area. But its all fixed now and no more clunking. And I can drive and enjoy those Apex Springs now.

--NY
i tried to install my swaybar yesterday and had the same problem with the bolt spinning it just so happens i tried the 14mm wrench thing and it wasnt really working. i tried pushing the rubber back but the damn wrench wouldnt hold, it kept slipping off, any ideas? for a minute there i was kind of baffled as to why that bolt just kept spinning lol. anyways...help please.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,223 Posts
The only thing I can say is try again with the open-box wrench. I had a helluva time with these damn bolts everytime I've had to mess with them too. Just gotta keep trying to get the wrench to 'bite' correctly to keep the bolt from spinning.
 

·
Final Fantasy 7=Teh Sex
Joined
·
3,840 Posts
I had to use a adjustable wrench and you will have to put some tension on it, but it should eventually tighten down and you shouldnt have any clunking.
 

·
Rebel Scum
Joined
·
745 Posts
yamaha said:
I had to use a adjustable wrench and you will have to put some tension on it, but it should eventually tighten down and you shouldnt have any clunking.
im not worried about clunking, im trying to swap the swaybars, the stock onel is still on the car and the tib one is in the trunk

i was thinking about using an adjustable wrench yesterday. just didnt for some reason, ill try again today, can i back the car on to ramps when i do this though or does it have to be on the ground?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
I think I ended up using Vise-grips.... clamped down really tight...
 

·
Rebel Scum
Joined
·
745 Posts
mrhoaf said:
I think I ended up using Vise-grips.... clamped down really tight...
thats EXACTLY what i was thinking, thats all i needed, thank you sir, thats what im gonna try i wasnt sure if it would work.

and on a side note its crazy how much bigger the tib bar is, and heavier too, i wasnt expecting it to be so big.........nutty
 

·
In da game for a while...
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Wait till you feel the difference...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top