Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I have visited and would like to say its good to see this place is doing well. With that said, here is a little background to my story:

In 2004 I had a 'friend of a friend' install my viper alarm/remote start system (the fancy $500 two way one) since he was giving me a good deal and I was short on cash (I got the system for $140 since I worked at Best Buy at the time). Everything was fine until the end of 2005 when I had some lights on in my dash. I figured it was the alarm system which had been acting up and did not think much of it. Summer 2006 rolls around and its time for an inspection however my car cannot pass the inspection b/c of the lights and all. I got to a car installer and for $200 they gutted and re-installed my alarm system for me and it worked great. But, the lights are still on so I then go to the dealer.

The day I went (last week of September), turned out to be the day my warranty expired so I lucked out. They checked it out and fixed two of the three error codes free of charge. I drove the car for a couple of days and found the lights are still on so I return to the dealer. They instruct me to have the alarm system completely removed, which I did (cost me $70). Brought the car to them last week and they took it in. Now is when it gets good...

I am told my ABS module is fried and needs to be replaced. And since my warranty ended last month they are now charging me $1,300 to fix it. I called up Hyundai America and am currently working to have them reimburse me, since I brought the car in a few weeks ago and they saw the error code. So okay, I ask them to fix it cause there is nothing else to do.

Today, they contacted me and told me thatmy car was broken into over the weekend. That's right, of all the dozens upon dozens of new cars MINE was the only one broken into. The dealer said the thief stole about $2,000 worth of parts and such. I went there and from my knowledge of the car, only saw my Pioneer deck, Sirius Tuner, and two headlight bulbs were taken. Keep in mind the cars are left unlocked so there was no forced entry and since it was in the middle of being fixed, the panels and dashboards are removed.

They are now offering to buy the car for $3500 and sell me another car. My 2001 Elantra, with 40,000 miles is worth much more than that! I was planning on driving this car until I am done with college and buy a brand new car once I have a steady income. Now, I am pretty much forced to get a new car, which I don't mind.. IF this dealership best pay up cause I'm not in debt right and I don't want to be.

So, that is my story and I would like to ask those of you who work or have worked at dealerships.. have you ever heard of such a thing? To have one single, used car, targeted from the dozens of newer cars? Does anyone think this could have been an inside job? Some mechanic saw my cool stuff and decided to take it? Or what if the dealership messed up my car while trying to fix and are saying the stuff was stolen to get themselves out of the hole they dug?

*sigh*

And as always, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like an inside job to me......

one of the staff probably did it....

·
Registered
91 Posts
somthing doesnt sound right about that one... have you spoken with any lawyers, about this, and they need to base the blue book on the worth before the theft and distruction. there is alot going on and you may have to take it to court if they start acting funny.... VERY VERY SHADY

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealership is responsible for your any damage, theft etc. once you sign the car over to them. Sounds like a total scam to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KeWLKaT said:
What happened to your sig ;)
Oops, changed hosts. Fixed it for ya tho. :D

OPZ said:
Wait, is his warrenty really up? I know the 10/100,000 mile isnt, but what about the other? Or were you second owner...
I am the second owner. The person before me did not purchase any extended warranty so all I had was a 5yr/50,000 mile warranty.

SoulReaver said:
somthing doesnt sound right about that one... have you spoken with any lawyers, about this, and they need to base the blue book on the worth before the theft and distruction. there is alot going on and you may have to take it to court if they start acting funny.... VERY VERY SHADY
I have not but am planning on, depends on what they say when I go down there and talk to the guy that has been helping me. I went yesterday, but all I did was photograph the car and its surroundings.

Mr. Dan said:
I'm pretty sure the dealership is responsible for your any damage, theft etc. once you sign the car over to them. Sounds like a total scam to me.
Yeah, they are responsible. There aren't responsible for any articles left in the car, such as a t-shirt, but to have the parts stolen.. they are completely liable for this.

·
Registered
288 Posts
damn straight......... its there problem... tell them you want that **** fixed and replaced and had no plans on selling / replacing the vehicle

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the verdict:

I will be getting my car back, all fixed up with all "stolen" items replaced. I just have to pay for the original repair my car went in for. But, once they saw a cop and a detective come, they decided to cooperate more. And that is that.. it'll take a couple of weeks for them to finish the repairs.

And so ends my experience with my first car, 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Time to find a new car since I can't keep this one. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
you should make them give you a discount on the repairs because of the inconvenience and "fraud" they tried to pull on ya.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, its Halloween and my Elantra is STILL sitting in the dealer's parking lot in the SAME EXACT spot where it was "broken into." They say they are waiting on parts that were back ordered, but you can get parts from Korea faster than how they are doing it. I am in the process of writing a letter to Hyundai USA demanding a check for the retail value of my car and will let the dealer keep my car.

I have moved on and bought a new car already. I want to see some justice here, in the form of a big fat check. I'll let you all know how it turns out and if I find anything else out about how the dealer tried to screw me so everyone can look out for themselves in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yes, please do post the dealership name, and the names of those involved. It doesn't get much shadier than this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well.. I finally got the car back tonight. After like two months the car is back in my driveway. Needless to say, my parents and I are never going back to this dealership. Here are the details and all for what was replaced and all:

Part : 58920-20500 ABS ASSY
Part: 91450-20000 WIRING ASSY·ECM
Part : 39109-23030 ELECTRON IC CONTROL
Part : 91220-2D012 WIRING ASSY-ENGINE
Part : 91500-20582 WIRING ASSY·FlOOR
Part: 91120-2D273 WIRING ASSY·MAIN
Part : 95910-20500 MODULE ASSY·A IR BAG

The dealership (Hyundai, Jeep & Chrysler) info is:

HUNTINGTON HYUNDAI. INC.
1221 East Jericho Turnpike
Huntington, NY 11743

The staff who contributed to this are:

Robert Stork - President
Mark Smith - Service Director
Steve Augustine - Service Advisor

In the end I paid $750 for a completely re-wired car with brand new harnesses, cleaned interior since they had to remove everything and my original problem which would have cost $1400 solved.

Oh and, they are the ones who got screwed in the end. :abovelol:

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
so are you keeping your xd or selling it to go towards payments or what?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts