Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide now that i finally got a job wether or not to put the money towards modding the elantra(finally got me some springs from Craig) but should i keep going and fulfill all my plans like wheels and neon kit and stereo system and other things . . . or put all my extra money towards something else i want to buy . . .

e.g.:

Please feel free to chime in. Thanks guys/gals

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I don't care for motorcycles much. Too much money, for too small a thing. Plus you can only ride them 1/2 the year, when it's not raining. Then there's the danger factor of all the idiot on the road that are bigger than you. Every yugo-driving mofo is a semi-truck aiming for you. That's my opinoin.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Take care of the car, there is plenty of time for motorcycles in the future. And I do agree with Mike on being able to ride only in good weather and the danger aspect. It has nothing to do with how good of a rider you are but how good the drivers are that you will encounter and personally I have no trust for the general public.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
One of my wife's co-workers was killed while riding tandem on a motorcycle with her brother last night. :fiddle: Don't know yet if it was her bother's fault (he was driving) or if a car hit them, but they're both dead. :eek: I like bikes, too, but I agree with 2GTS -- it's not your ability to ride the bike that determines your safety, but the driving ability of all of the idiots on the road.

Yeah, mod your Elantra! At least it has airbags! :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get the Bike!!!

As soon as my XD is paid off in 22 months I am getting a new Bike...so again I say get the Bike

--NY

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I got my XD I was debating keeping my Prelude and getting a bike to ride most of the time. I'm glad that I went with the XD. I still might get a bike sometime, but not till I have the XD and my fiance's F-150 paid off.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well let me clear some things up here . . first of all i thank all of you for the responses. . . . as far as finances go since the topic was opened up . . . the bike would be purchased with money left over AFTER paying off ALL our bills and rent and car note and insurances and EVERYTHING. secondly the bike doesnt cost that much to begin with. this particular bike is 5700 i believe . . i would LOOOOVE to get this one but thats probably not gonna happen. the one i am looking at getting is not all chromed out and therefore cost 3000. thats about 1000 a month in three months. again, thats all money thats left over . . jlivan can explain in more detail if you'd like right jlivan? lol ok moving on . . thank you guys for scaring the crap out of me and telling me about people that died LAST FRIGGIN NIGHT. . . ON A BIKE!!!!!!!!! lol geez. . . but i wanted to stress that the bike would be more like a once a week or month thing and take it to the keys and daytona type of deal. . . gas is expensive and the bike would be incredibly cheaper as a daily driver but ive got a kid and a wife so i the bike would spend a lot of its time on the road on a trailer. and then in key west where its like 15-30mph everywhere anyway. it would honestly be more of a toy then a serious transportation. and honestly i would probably never drive it in Hialeah main roads at all. because . . . well honestly there are no words to describe it. . if you've ever been in hialeah . . all i can say is . . im truly deeply sorry to you and your family and i hope the insurance check comes through quickly. honestly its that bad. . . in a car. . imagine me on a bike . . . yeah no thanks. so yeah like i said it would spend a lot of time on a trailer on its way to the keys or to daytona or to N.E. Georgia in the mountains when i get more experienced. all that being said and you all having my WORD that i am not stupid enough to drive it in city traffic. . . and would be incredibly careful . . . what do you think? any changes of opinion? im curious. ..thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Regardless of how careful you are... or how seldom you ride it... or how few other cars are on the road... it only takes one chance driver on a cell phone/changing CDs/putting on makeup to change your family's life forever. Just keep that in mind.

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
Don't let the anti-motorcycle group here scare you off a bike. I got a bike before I got my first car, been riding for 18 yrs now. With needing a new car the bike had to go, but I miss it everyday. Bikes have the advantages they are cheaper to run, easier to park, and there is nothing better for making a sh1ty day go away then heading out for a ride. But bikes do have their down side, weather( I usually didn't let that stop me, I would ride in the rain and cold up till there was snow on the ground ), and safety ( I have had two crashes on a bike, one I got to spent a week in the trama center for, but I still love it) but with a bike you have to be more focused on your surrondings - I have never had any trouble in city traffic.

With that being said I would split your money, do a few mods on the car (wheels), and look for a cheaper first bike (most likely you will atleast drop it once, and messing up all that chrome would suck) around $2000 or so.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you know you bring up a great point . . the chrome. . . see that bike in that picture they want 5700 for. . . the bike stock goes for about 3000 . . . i am scared to get a cheaper bike(which can be found) because i am a firm believer in the get what you pay for philosophy. . . . i might end up getting the cheaper one seeing as how i dont even know HOW to ride yet . . . so i would have to learn . . anyone know where i can learn how to ride? my friend has a bike and would probably teach me but hes being a jerk right now . . . i dont know anyone else with a bike . . dont know what to do the other thing is i need to get a trailer which is probably how i will bring it home wherever i end up getting it from. . . . we'll see

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool i didnt know that
the bike i want is an 800 i figured that was small enough . . right? not tooo heavy?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
K, being scared to ride the bike is a problem, but if you are not, you should be able to buy it as a pleasure thing. It's not a sport bike that he's looking for obviously. His ability to handle it will be decided upon purchasing it. Obviously...take care of your other finances first, build a bit of a buffer with your money for emergency use and then mod the elantra or get the bike. Do realize though the bike will take up time, and it's another expense - it will take up more of your time to do anything with the elantra and you might just wanna mod this bike too...leaving your elantra to cry on the driveway. I almost got into bikes....thank god I didn't.....cause it's just one more crazy hobby.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
felixr said:
the one i am looking at getting is not all chromed out and therefore cost 3000. thats about 1000 a month in three months. again, thats all money thats left over . . jlivan can explain in more detail if you'd like right jlivan?
What am I suppose to explain? I am lost
?? I thought that the money left over was for me....LOL

Anyways, I suggest you keep the Elantra & also buy a motorcycle!

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
If you want the bike do it now....it may only get tougher to have one once you get married, kids, etc....I had one b4 and I kick myselk all the time for selling it. Get the bike if you want.

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
felixr said:
cool i didnt know that
the bike i want is an 800 i figured that was small enough . . right? not tooo heavy?
Yea that bike would be good, is that a Kawaski Vulcan, Suzuki Intruder or a Yamaha Virago? All are good bikes, older styled(not real popular for resale), been around for years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts