Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Disappearing coolant from reservoir

[XD] 
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  danielelee 
#1 ·
I replaced my radiator and hoses around three years ago. It was O.K. since. Then last week I checked the coolant/antifreeze level from the radiator and the reservoir. I was surprised to see the coolant is a little low from the radiator, but not bad and the coolant in the reservoir is almost empty. I refilled coolant to the maximum level. I checked again this morning. The coolant/antifreeze is again a little low at the top of the radiator and almost empty in the reservoir. I looked around the radiator and hoses, but I didn't see any leak. I changed my water pump last year. Do you have any idea how to track the source of leak?

#3 ·
look around for white crust from the antifreeze, when the car is cold squeeze the radiator hoses you could have a crack. I had a crack on an old car no signs of a leak then i started squeezing the hoses and found the crack it was leaking from.

#5 ·
Thanks. I just found a pool of coolant on the top of the transmission. It must be leaking from the hoses over there. I will check tonight after I come back home.
A few years ago, same thing happened, but I didn't know where it was leaking because I couldn't actually see the leakage. Later I discovered that it was leaking from under the clamp of bypass hose. When I removed the clamp to change the hose, there was a crack at the end of the hose right where the clamp was. The coolant was dripping from there.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks. I checked this evening to find out what's wrong. I removed air cleaner for better access. I found a couple of leaves stuck inside the air cleaner. That's a bonus. The suspected leaking area is near the thermostat housing. I squeezed the hoses, but I didn't see any leakage. I drained coolant and removed clamps. I found out that one of the clamp screws are a little loose. Also the inside lining is beginning to detach. These hoses and clamps are not OEM. They are only three years old. I think I need to replace with OEM parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.