Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
kingjombeejoe
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First you need some thick plastic. I found this in the craft section in walmart for about $7

Now you have to make a template. You will need, plastic wrap ($2), window cleaner ($2) or water, and a marker ($1).

spray or wet your headlight and pull the plastic wrap over it like this.

Now draw the shape you want on the plastic wrap.

Take off the plastic wrap and try not to stretch or rip it. Next put it on the plastic wrap onto the sheet of plastic like this.

make sure its as flat as possible. Now cut out the shape with the plastic wrap still on it you can use a razor knife but I used scissors.

Now remove the plastic wrap template.

now flip that piece upside domn and use it to make your other one. You should have 2 pieces that are pretty close now.

Clean up the edges with sand paper or whatever you can find.

Now try them on your car for fitment.

Now paint them. I used rustoleum universal paint $6 at home depot (metallic silver) and rustoleum clear coat $5 at home depot.

If you keep them on a piece of wood with the edges hanging off it will curve when you paint it making them form better to the lights.
Now tape them on using double sided tape. I used 3M Scotch Mounting Tape, 1/2"X75" $3 walmart.

For under $30 and enough materials to make more.
Do it up!

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
nice but duplicolor metallic ground coat matches the silver (and I think regular duplicolor pewter) on our cars perfectly in case you want a closer match if you make another set for the bottom maybe

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
wow, look really good for the amount of effort and money. good stuff!

·
아반떼XDC
528 Posts
nice job! However instead of using clear film use paper to get your first sketch, that way you are able to get a more cleaner design and cut....And good choice of materials...I used plastic for mine....

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
^The problem with paper is it doesn't form to the shape of the headlight like the plastic wrap will, so you'll have wierd wrinkles and folds in the paper trying to press it against the curved surface of the headlight.

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
I did this with some stuff from the shop laying around.

It was pretty easy actually! I recommend to anyone that wants to do this get some 3m VHB (very high bond tape)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts