Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
201 - 220 of 230 Posts

· Newbie Supreme
34 Posts
Great tutorial. Did mine this morning and it took all of an hour or so. Would've been much less if I didn't forget that o ring seal on the underside Doh! Basically did it twice. Piece of cake. Thanks!

Okay maybe all didn't go according to plan...I filled up shortly after the swap and my gauge is only reading about 7/8ths full. Maybe I tweaked the sender a little? Any ideas?

· Registered
8 Posts
TY FOR THE PICTURES WAS WONDERING WHAT EVERYONE WAS TALKING ABOUT.. got mine today, going to wait little bit only have 46k on 2003 hyundai elantra gt.. starting new job dont need any complication gas milage is good 25 city 33.3 on high way i cant wait 2 weeks untill they gave me truck to bring home..

· Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if any one can tell me if my 2001elantra has any other type of fuel filter because I recently replaced muon tank filter as in this DIY and am still having a no start issue or can anyone help me trouble shoot my no start problem

· im still a junior member?
261 Posts
I replaced mine today and man, there was at least and inch of what looked like wet sand in the cup down in the sock area. Surprised it even ran lol, probably the original pump and filter. Mite cut my old one open and take pics of it. Definitely better, more crisp throttle response. I seafoamed the hell outta it too, had a nice smoke show for the neighbors!

261 Posts
No, I put a lot in the fuel tank as well and it cleans your injectors, just like a fuel treatment. It helped take out some idle vibration I had. The manifold vacuum trick pulls in the Seafoam in and cleans the runners and intake valves. I don't put it in my oil though, I feel it's too harsh to go in the crankcase

· Registered
989 Posts
I poured a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank of my Odyssey many, many times, but they didn't help. I have P0301, P0302 and P0304 cylinder misfire codes. I even poured a gallon of lacquer thinner, but it didn't help, either. I changed all spark plugs, ignition coils, EGR valves and cleaned intake passage, but I still have same codes. I suspect fuel injectors. They are the last remaining cause. Can I pour two bottles, not one, of concentrated fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank? Don't you think it is too much. This is my last resort before I have to replace injectors.

By the way, did you fix your car? You mentioned that you cannot start the car after fuel filter replacement.

261 Posts
Yea, i ended up modifying the fuel cup and put a 190lph pump in and put ngk plugs/wires and a new coil so it's running great now. No hesitation and fuel economy is up alot. Turned out my outlet nipple on my stock pump was torn so I just upgraded

As for 2 bottles of cleaner, I doubt it'll hurt anything. I would suspect a timing issue before buying injectors. They're expensive and it's not a guarantee it'll fix it. Have you checked the timing belt and timing marks?

· Registered
989 Posts
boostcreep: I didn't check the timing belt yet because I didn't think it's related to timing belt even though it is almost time to replace it. The vehicle runs fine except dreadful check engine light. I suspect the CEL is fuel related because I replaced everything else. I don't see any smoke coming from tail pipe, but I can smell strong smoke. It's been like that for long time.

261 Posts
Whst kind of smoke? Like gas fumes? Could have a bad regulator if it's a rail mount. Pull the vac line and see if there is fuel in the line.
If it's an in tank like the elantra its harder to diagnose a bad regulator. Unless you have a shrader valve on the fuel line.

If its a rail mount and the diagram went bad, it could puddle fuel into the manifold causing a rich misfire. Or if it's an in tank style, it would be more of a hesitation lean misfire.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey all
When I reach the step to remove the eight screws, I'm not seeing any. Instead, there is just a black cover holding down the assembly, that surrounds it kind of like the ones in your photos. Does this just screw off? I'm having a difficult time getting it to screw off if it does!

Here is a picture:

Attachments

· Enthusiast
385 Posts
Yes, it does screw off. I used a screw-driver and a hammer to persuade it to start turning. Pretty much just put the screwdriver on the side and try to tap it around. It's tight because the top of the fuel cell is spring loaded

· Registered
30 Posts
Ah yup, I ended up doing that. Took a lot more tapping than I originally thought it would so thought I'd ask just in case! Thanks!

One more question:

There was only one of the two plastic washers in the old filter to transfer to the new filter (everything else was there).

I'm wondering if I should bother sourcing a second plastic washer, or just leave it? It is working fine, it seems, although maybe it'd be better with all the bits. Any ideas?

201 - 220 of 230 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.