Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at the stereo place today picking up my amp wiring kits/RCA cables, and my buddy mentioned to me that I might want to get a cap (since I plan on running an MC500 or equivalent 500 watt amp along with my other 200 watt amp). He says the cap would help me from underpowering/blowing up such a powerful amp....is he BSing me? :(

Does anyone think I truly need one? Otherwise I will keep my distribution block that I bought (for $40)...
If I need a cap I can return the distribution block (since the cap can act as a power splitter) and put the money towards a cap! :)

If I need to I think I will go to ebay for a name-brand cap...will 1/2 or 1 farad be enough? :eek:

HELP ME :cool:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
a cap is a good idea. we never used them back in the "old school" days but that was because they were prohibitively expensive. it was cheaper back then to run a second battery or upgrade the alternator. but today they are a good idea. i'd go for the 1 farad cap, but 0.5 farad would help also. and yes you can return the distribution block and put that money towards a cap.

the amp won't blow up without it, but on output peaks the amp will be starved for current and the cap will even out the flow of current going in to the amp under those stress conditions. it will keep the amp cooler and the amp
will hit harder bass peaks.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah....when my car is finally done (if that is possible :) ) you will be getting major acknowledgements southpaw (and even you 04CVVT :tongue: )when I try for COTM...

THANKS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.