Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pimp/Hustla
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In consideration of a project I'm considering, I'd like to know if bondo sticks to bare metal, i.e. I can attach things to the car with bondo, or if I'll need to bolt on parts and then use bondo to fill the cracks.

P.S. Can someone please move this to the "Help" forum?

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Bondo is made to bond to metal (but cannot bond two objects together like JB weld, etc)

You certainly could use it to "fill in the cracks/spaces" that are left when bolting on parts (or use a glaze or similar light application bodywork filler).

BUT IT CAN NOT BE THE ONLY THING HOLDING ON A PART...YOU NEED TO BOLT THINGS ON or FIBERGLASS THEM! :cool:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Bondo used sparingly will fill in cracks and the like, but it's not anything close to an adhesive. You can certainly stick the part on the car and bondo over the cracks to make it smooth but I wouldn't say it would hold the part to the car on it's own.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I used to know a guy who attached fiberglass body kits on Porche 914s to the frame with Bondo. They held pretty good, I don't think he did anything else on it. But then again I never saw him finish one and get it on the road. But it did hold good in the garage for more than 2 years.

Not an endorcment, just an observation.

·
Registered
732 Posts
He acted like he did, and he had some good ideas, but he never made any of them work. I haven't seen him in almost 6 months.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I hate bondo. I use lead or aluma-lead, which is a aluminum filler that has a bondo like application. Personally, I try to get things as filler free (not using any fillers) as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts