Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Door Chime

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  watson80 
#1 ·
Ok, first let me say that I like having the door chime (I know a lot of you just unplug yours), but I want a different sounding one. Since buying my Santa Fe, I realized that the dink-donk chime of ours sucks. I was thinking of putting the chime from an 04 sonata or santa fe in instead, but then got to thinking. It's only a 12v buzzer, I could use one from ANY car. So, with that said: Has anyone heard a good and unique sounding door chime? Like maybe Lexus or Mercedes, I would expect those to sound less annoying and more harmonic. I know VW had some musical ones (hated them) in their early 90s cars, I don't know what they do now. Thanks

#8 ·
This week I'm going to try and install a switch that when flipped, kills the sensor that detects the door is open, so there is no chime, and place it in a location so that when the door is closed it hits the switch back to the "on" position. So the next time the door is open...dingdingding.

#11 ·
uhm, i just told you how to do it.

Get a small midi device, like one from one of those musical cards.... Find out its power source (probably a watch battery) get a relay that taps into the switch power of the sensor, when the door is open, close the relay and it'll play the midi song.

i could draw you a picture....

shawn :)

#13 ·
To hell with adding a relay and sensor. I was just gonna splice in to the wires going to the chime under the dash, and unplug the standard dink, donk chime.

#15 ·
yeah i hear you mike....

BUT I was answering YEV's question.

I mean, you could build a small computer, put it under you seat with a sound card and speakers and load mp3s for the hell of it, so when you open the door it plays a random song from any of britney spears greatest hit cd, its not that hard, just give the computer power from a switched source through a regulator like my dreamcast, then jump the soundcard to turn on when the doorchime sensor is powered...

mp3 madness...

but why?

anyone is southern florida that wants to do this, im me at yodased, we'll go to the swapshop, buy the parts and I'll so do it for you... I would do it myself, but room under the seats is nil.

#16 ·
Yea... ummm... a whole computer for opening your door or not buckling up... that's a little much for me... I just liked the harmony of the $17 (from Hyundai) door chime in my Santa Fe better, and wondered what Lexus, infinity, etc. door chimes sounded like. Let's head the topic back that way.

#17 · (Edited)
there's no real need for it...just sounds like a rather unique thing to do...not the computer part (that's cool too but not just for the chime) but some sort of midi rig...hahaha i just thought of a look on the face of the mechanic who gets in the car when i drop it off for service :)

sorry about taking this off topic...i'm done after this one i promis...i think i got it....how about hooking up the guts from a talking picture frame? you can record whatever chime/song/obsanity you want

#18 ·
yeah or a memo recorder, what about one of those stupid 10 dollar recorders from walmart??

that'll work.

and the computer idea was to let rev know what to do.. sorry for the hijack.

I think you should do something like:

go to walmart and find a cheapo recorder.. Then record, "Your door is open, dumbass"

lol

#19 ·
it's a simple two-wire, 12V chime bell. any audible device that accepts a 12V signal will work fine. i'd be interested to hear what the other hyundai chimes sound like (sonata, XG). according to webtech, they would even snap in place and accept the 2-wire plug without modification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.