Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2003 Elantra has had door locking issues for a while. We'd unlock them & they'd immediately lock again. Sometimes while driving the locks would spontaneously lock and unlock. Now, it's gotten worse; when we lock the drivers door after getting out, all doors immediately unlock and we have to hold the drivers lock down to get it to lock and then lock all the other doors individually.

The alarm on the car is a bit skitchy too, making us wonder whether the door locks and alarm are in cahoots. Can we remove the alarm & maybe expect some relief? Any suggestions and ideas about what's wrong & if a home fix is possible are appreciated! Maybe it needs a priest.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Usually what makes the door unlock immediately after locking is the key being in the ignition. Does the key feel loose?

Locking while driving sounds like something shorting.

Unhooking the alarm will most likely do nothing. Alarm doesn't control the door locks. The door locks control the alarm. Alarm can't set unless the doors are locked. Alarm has nothing to do with making the doors lock or unlock. So your problem is in the power locks system.

Sounds like this might involve a lot of troubleshooting. The first thing I would do would be remove the driver door panel and check to wiring harness connectors for corrosion. Then I would by-pass the key switch, so that the locks will think there is no key inserted. Next check the door connections in the other doors. Check the connections on the ETACs unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give the harness a look & see if it looks corroded. Good points on the alarm & locks, makes sense. Any idea how complicated it might be to exchange out for a new wiring harness versus trying to specifically fix the wires that controll the locks? My experience is good for installing car audio but never gotten into the harness for the entire vehicle.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
I don't know what all that harness consists of. But you will most likely have corrosion on both sides if there is any. One side would be the complete door harness. And just by guessing I'd say the car side would be a good majority of the harness under the dash.

You could probably scrap the connectors clean from oxidation/corrosion and protect it will some di-electric grease to prevent future corrosion faster than taking the dash out.
If you find corrosion, it's most likely not fully damaged the wires. All you really have to do is scrap it with a flat screwdriver or knife. Or use some spray electrical connection cleaner. Afterwards there is a non-conductive grease that will protect it.

It could still be another issue, but corrosion on the driver door connector has been a common issue for others. Could also be a bad ETACs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts