Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: My car door open keeps chiming(beeping) even when the door is closed. Even the light on the door is turned on. The Light is On even when I lock the door from outside in parking, but the chime goes away as I no longer have the keys in Ignition. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks for your inputs.

More Info:
I have this '02 Elantra. This past week I had accidentally closed the door when the seat belt didnt retract completely . And in this process the buckle got swooshed between the door and the body. I guess it probably hit the door sensor that detects the door Ajar/Close. So How do I go about this? Any detail steps or guidelines are greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Did you try opening and shutting the other doors? I think the switch is on the body at the b-pillar if I'm not mistaken. Operate it by hand and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
just disconnect the chime, its a connector under the steering wheel....there's a DIY...use the SEARCH! welcome to exd!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sensor is on the B pillar, to get to it you'd need to open it up from inside (remove all the plastic) and see it. But I'm thinking that maybe you dented the door enough to not press the button all the way in and that's why it keeps going on. Try it manually and see if it helps.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Issue: My car door open keeps chiming(beeping) even when the door is closed. Even the light on the door is turned on. The Light is On even when I lock the door from outside in parking, but the chime goes away as I no longer have the keys in Ignition. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks for your inputs.

More Info:
I have this '02 Elantra. This past week I had accidentally closed the door when the seat belt didnt retract completely . And in this process the buckle got swooshed between the door and the body. I guess it probably hit the door sensor that detects the door Ajar/Close. So How do I go about this? Any detail steps or guidelines are greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
just disconnect the chime, its a connector under the steering wheel....there's a DIY...use the SEARCH! welcome to exd!
excelantra, welcome. However, do not take the above advice. It's the totally wrong answer. The buzzer isn't the problem. Like others have said, the computer uses switches on the doors to know if they are open or closed. Obviously one of the sensors is bad or is not going off when the door is closed. You just have to figure out which one.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have a question somewhat related to this. Does the chime only work for the driver door, or should it work for all doors? Since I have had the car from day 1, the chime only works for the driver door. The other doors do turn on the lights and I do get the "door ajar" light in the dash. If it is supposed to work that way, I don't see a point in having the door chime IMO. I know if I am wearing my seatbelt, and I know if my door is open. I don't need a chime to tell me that.

·
chef 4 life
5,781 Posts
^Yes, because it's intended to let you know your keys are still in the ignition if you open the door and leave them there. Don't think that matters for any of the other passengers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^Yes, because it's intended to let you know your keys are still in the ignition if you open the door and leave them there. Don't think that matters for any of the other passengers.
My mind would really have to be somewhere else to do that, having the keyless entry has kept me from leaving the keys in the car. I almost never use the door lock on the door itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excelantra, welcome. However, do not take the above advice. It's the totally wrong answer. The buzzer isn't the problem. Like others have said, the computer uses switches on the doors to know if they are open or closed. Obviously one of the sensors is bad or is not going off when the door is closed. You just have to figure out which one.
Thanks for all the inputs guys.
I have done some more troubleshooting by observing the other 3 doors to see what all moving/static parts are involved in locking the door, keep it in place etc. Also I found that there is a sensor (a small button similar to a ballpoint pen) that gets pressed in which is detecting the door ajar and chime. I have taken a couple of pictures so it would help someone else in future.
The problem: The tip of this plastic button was broken by the door slam and this needs to be fixed. So I now know the problem but could not open the screws as they are sort of freezed into the body because no one ever uses them. It sort of looks like a single piece. So I am struggling with that. And also put a small tape for now to keep it pressed all the while until I fix it. I will keep you all posted. Thanks Y'all for your great inputs. cheers!!!
IMG00094.jpg IMG00095.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As you can see above, the screw is a single piece attached to the rest of the chrome thing. I will see other ways to remove this and install a new one. For now I put a small piece of tape to keep it compressed and stop the chime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whole chrome metallic thing in pics above is a "single piece" and it does look like it is designed not to turn. I dont understand why would anybody give it the look and feel of screw including the slot for screwdriver in the head and its not even a screw. I just dont get it. Am I missing something here?
For now I am fine but I am expecting the tape would come off someday and I rather would fix it the right way. So I have the opportunity to use the sensor for what it's meant to be.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts