1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
975 Posts
What a coincidence. My dealer has a bare-bones Genesis in black. I was impressed.

·
Lil SnowFlake
828 Posts
they just got a shipment of 6 of them at my local dealer, i saw the unload the cars when i took my car to get checked up

·
7 psi tunned by poweraxel
3,203 Posts
v8? who wants a v8 with such high gas prices! its already $5.00 a gal in almost every gas station here in san diego.
i'll still test drive it tough when it comes out, just to compare.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I went today and this was pretty cool. Got there a couple minutes early and stood in line for about 15 minutes. Got to choose between a Lambda V6 and a Tau V8 so I chose the V8 to drive around the track. Track is used loosely, it was basically a short auto-x cone set up in the parking lot of FedEx field.

At the beginning of it you get on to a "skid pad" of sorts and ask you to put the pedal on the floor, to demonstrate the traction control, the car wouldn't slip or slide. Half way through that they ask you do slam the brakes to feel how well the ABS works. Then you go through a series of short straights and various types of curves, one with gravel/cat litter, and one that the "professional driving tech (the lady who sat in the passenger seat)" called a "panic corner" or something. It was a very quick 90 degree left with little room followed by a 90 degree right turn. I guess it was supposed to simulate what you would do if you saw a kid run out in front of the car. Then they have you come to a complete stop and floor it to give you a good idea of 0-60 times. At the end there was some crap on the ground to simulate running over manhole covers so you can see how well the suspension handles them and how little you feel.

The car handles very well, even at higher speeds (45-65MPH) around various types of corners. I wish I knew the auto-x terminology to describe them. I couldn't get the car to lose traction, even at the skid pad part or through the gravel. I pressed the car as much as I could without going overboard and hitting any of the cones (I didn't want to be an idiot). Still, I took all the corners pretty fast and the lady with me didn't seem to care at all. She was basically there to talk about all the cars features. There were a lot of older (40+) people there and many of them were driving it around the track like they were going through a school zone, it was sad.

Then I got to test drive the "competition," a Mercedes Benz E550. It did lose a bit of traction on the skid pad and the ABS was very good, but it did feel like it took just a bit longer to stop. Throughout the course I didn't notice too much difference between the Genesis and the E550, except when it came to the 0-60 run. The E550 was much quicker (has more torque apparently). The E550 had a smaller, and less comfortable interior however, making the drive (however short) not as nice.

Keep in mind, I had never driven any RWD cars, especially not any with these kind of power numbers (I have driven an Escalade, SRX, and older Cadillac Seville) so it was hard for me to notice any subtleties that might exist, as I was focused simply on going as fast as possible while staying on the course.

The "competition" for the Lambda V6 Genesis was a Cadillac CTS. I didn't drive either of those.

At the end I filled out a survey and got a free Hyundai Genesis bag full of car cleaning equipment (different brushes and crap) that I'll probably never use, ha. I was surprised how non-sales oriented it was, even if they do advertise it as such.

Pretty good way to spend 45 minutes on a Saturday morning.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Call me J
1,978 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to do it but the invitation I got was around and hour and a half away. I'll wait to see it till they hit the showrooms :(

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Who is going to the Delaware event next Sunday? I'll be there in the afternoon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts