Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I put this the newbie fourm because this might be a really stupid question. Ok so I was reinstalling my CAI and I was wondering if I could put a little basket or something to hold a chunk of some dry ice. You know for when I go on a road trip or something. I mean its cold air right. I'm I just being stupid? It makes sennce to me.

Or I can use it to cool the pipe.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i've heard of ppl packing ice in the engine bay between the runs at the track. makes sence to me. not sure how much exactly you'll benefit from it and if it will be at all noticable. let's see what smarter ppl have to say about this

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
It would lower the temp of the intake charge but I'm not sure if it would give any noticable gain. Dry ice also doesn't last that long and it would probably be gone in 5-10 min.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The effect would probably be minimal. The ice would work best for cooling the engine bay between track runs, not as a "part" sitting in or near the intake. The other thing is that there's a lot of air that moves throught the intake. Not all of it will pass near enough, or be around long enough, to be significantly cooled by the dry ice. A novel idea though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dry ice is frozen Co2, which displaces O2 needed for the combustion process. You would have to make sure that none of the evaporating gas made it into the intake tube. As far as just cooling the intake tube... it will work for a couple seconds, but after that, the air moves to fast to be cooled by so little surface area such as a tube and there is more heat in the manifold and head than the actual tube anyway, so you will most likely not notice a gain at all. Only thing that might help is ice on the manifold itself between runs.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
u probably wouldnt even notice the gains if there are ant would be very very minimal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts