Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Essentially it will work on almost all cars. I had this setup on my 04 GLS as well, but onyl for about a month till my Accord CAI took it's place. Some people say that this setup may damage the MAF sensor over time. I'm not sure why or how, as I don't think our engines suck in enough air to damage the thing. But I'm not an expert.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
02 is a map.. no maf to burn up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did basically the same thing on my '02 except that in addition, I bought an adapter fitting that snaps into the front inner lip of the top of the cone filter. I then attached a 3-inch flexible tube to it and ran the tube through the wheel well where a cold air intake tube would go. So I may not have 100% cold air running through the intake, since the majority of the filter intake area is taking air from the engine bay, but at least some of that cool air is coming up through the wheel well and making it's way to the filter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Only thing is the stock pipe on the 01 to late 03's are plastic and mine kept slipping off before i got my piping so i just stuck it straight to the manifold.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
SPIKE said:
Why would you want to suck in HOT air, just get a full CAI :)

SPIKE, there are some advantages and disadvantages to using aftermarket intakes.

ie..

short ram:

1. great throttle response
2. little or no resistance of air before it enters the TB...
3. high rpm capability with lowest restriction possible.
4. no risk of getting flooded in a deep puddle.
5. slightly hotter air going into engine...
6. easy to install due to short length.
7. Usually very in-expensive.

CAI:

1. cold air .. so you might gain whp or less over SRI.
2. more resistance of airflow due to longer pipe...but more toruqe due to longer pipe...
3. high risk of getting engine flooded in 12 inches or less of water.
4. slightly harder to install due to removal of Resonator ..
5. for a 3 inch pipe, you will need to cut the fender hole area...
6. typically cost a little more than SRI.

so really.. there are some trade-offs, but there are some benefits to the average "do it yourself mechanic"...

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
FordFasteRR, i don't know too much about all this, but still looking for some extra hp by trying to decide between CAI & SAI. from what i've heard, can't you just eliminate number 4 on your SAI list by adding a by-pass valve to your CAI?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts