Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the shifter today and am in the process of installing but I wanted to take some Pics so everyone can get an idea of design of the shifter.

Here is a lil chart comparing the stock shifter vs the RSType

_________________Stock------------RSType

Overall Length_____10.25"__________9.5"

Above Ball_________6.75"__________5.5"

Below Ball_________2.25"__________2.75"

Now I am not sure of the lengths of the B&M and the TWM. But size wise I would put this somewhere in between the Tibby shifter (.25" shorter top-.5" longer bottom) and the B&M shifter.

So all said and done I think this is a good deal for the price. $36 including shipping.

Hope this helps.

--NY

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quality Is good, it comes with a new lock washer and lube. though no instructions were included, but there are numerous site on the web to get instructions, B&M's site has step-by-step with pics so thats what I used.

You can't go wrong with this one and the price is excellent.

--NY

·
-
471 Posts
NorthernYankee said:
Quality Is good, it comes with a new lock washer and lube. though no instructions were included, but there are numerous site on the web to get instructions, B&M's site has step-by-step with pics so thats what I used.

You can't go wrong with this one and the price is excellent.
--NY
Hmmm. Sounds like a good, low-budget alternative to SR, B&M and TWM.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bnystrom said:
Hmmm. Sounds like a good, low-budget alternative to SR, B&M and TWM.
My thoughts exactly.

--NY

·
Registered
25 Posts
so you chopped down your short shifter an inch, is it say, s-2000 short, or Acura TSX short? will a hack saw work?

Well, my RSType short shifter got here, and I just dropped it in. Man is it cool! Everybody with a manual needs to go to ebay and drop 38 bucks on this thing! Here's afew tips on installation:
1) to pop off the center console use 2 metal forks (serious!) and jimmy it up. There's like 6-8 clips in there.

2) there's this annoying ass push-nut in there too. wedge a pair of needle nose in there and wiggle the heck out of it until it breaks. (the kit comes with a spare!)

3) also, you're probably gonna want to reuse the stock bushings, so place a small rag around the bushing, (attached to the old shifter) and stick it in a table clamp and start tapping at it with a mallet till they pop off, make sure you re-grease, and have fun.

4) one last thing, to put that spare push nut on, find a long socket with the same outside diameter as it, set it in the socket, and just easily push it on.

·
-
471 Posts
63vetteman said:
1) to pop off the center console use 2 metal forks (serious!) and jimmy it up. There's like 6-8 clips in there.
If you pop off the boot first, you can simply pull up the console cover by hand at the back. That way, you don't have to worry about damaging the edges by prying.

63vetteman said:
2) there's this annoying ass push-nut in there too. wedge a pair of needle nose in there and wiggle the heck out of it until it breaks. (the kit comes with a spare!)
You can also cut it off with a Dremel tool.

63vetteman said:
3) also, you're probably gonna want to reuse the stock bushings, so place a small rag around the bushing, (attached to the old shifter) and stick it in a table clamp and start tapping at it with a mallet till they pop off, make sure you re-grease, and have fun.
An alternative method is to put an open end or adjustable wrench under the cap and tap on the wrench to pop the cap off.

63vetteman said:
4) one last thing, to put that spare push nut on, find a long socket with the same outside diameter as it, set it in the socket, and just easily push it on.
Good idea.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seller was 4caroption they have 2 listed right now...but they raised their price to $50 + shipping.

--NY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts