Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several mentions of "flashing" the ECM, I assume to erase some bit of stored data. I've got a couple of questions.
1) what data is being "erased"
2) what is the "proper" procedure to flash the ECM
3) I'll be installing a CAI shortly, do I have to flash the ECM following the install?
4) I just had the TSB work done for the hesitation at 3800rpm. Will flashing the ECM undo the repair work?

Thanks for the help, Curtis

·
Registered
275 Posts
schilcur said:
I've seen several mentions of "flashing" the ECM, I assume to erase some bit of stored data. I've got a couple of questions.
1) what data is being "erased"
2) what is the "proper" procedure to flash the ECM
3) I'll be installing a CAI shortly, do I have to flash the ECM following the install?
4) I just had the TSB work done for the hesitation at 3800rpm. Will flashing the ECM undo the repair work?

Thanks for the help, Curtis
1. fuel maps, timing, etc
-analogy-its like upgrading from windows 2000 to XP
2. Dealer has proper equipment which allows it to interact with the ECM and download new software

3. No, just reset your ECM. disconnect the negative terminal about 15mins

4. No

Good luck
Gregster

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
What he said, you can't reflash your ecu unless you've cracked the hyundai ecu programming. And if you have and know how to modify it you could have people lined up around the block waiting for you to work you magic. The dealer or someone like R.E.A.L. or Powerchip are the only places that can currently reprogramm the stock ecu. What you want to do like Gregster said is reset your ecu. The Elantra ecu is a "learning ecu" and overtime will adjust the timing and fuel curves to make the car more fuel efficent, which in turn usually lowers the hp by a couple. By resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery you are unlearning the fuel saving adjsutments the computer has made and it will revert back to the original programming which has shown the most power. Resetting the ecu will not undo the reflash the dealer has done, it only reverts the fuel and timing maps to their default and the computer might notice your mod and adust a little differently going forward. For best performance I would reccomend that you reset the ecu when you go to the track or an autox event about 30min before you go for your first run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts