Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the car in for the flash, timing belt and brake line fix. We also replaced the air filter. Now at between 1/2 and 5/8 throttle is sounds like there are a few more cylinders under the hood. I think that there is some resonance bouncing back to the interior. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i wish there were a few more cylinders under the hood... ;)

honestly, no idea, except that sometimes if the timing belt is not properly tensioned it can reverberate and vibrate against the shroud.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
good point, hadn't thought about that. are you talking about pinging by any chance? that would certainly occur under load and not rpm, but i don't understand why it would have happened after that work was done, unless the ECU got zapped in some strange way.

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
southpawboston said:
good point, hadn't thought about that. are you talking about pinging by any chance? that would certainly occur under load and not rpm, but i don't understand why it would have happened after that work was done, unless the ECU got zapped in some strange way.
It doesn't sound like pinging, at least from the noises that i have heard. It just sounds like it is reaching the resonant frequency of the engine bay and bouncing back to the cabin. Not really concerned about it, just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. My brother said that the car was making a funny noise, sounded like a turbo, so i listened, and it sounded like a second set of pistons kicked on flowing through Longtubes headers.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
The timing of the spark is electronically controlled and can be adjusted by the computer. However, since the timing belt was replaced, the timing relationships between the crankshaft/ intake camshaft / exhaust camshaft might have changed a bit.

Does it seem that there's an increase in power, too, or just sound?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
if it sounds like a turbo, that's different than your description of pistons and headers... :) i'm trying to imagine that. :)

if it does resemble a turbo whine, it could be that the timing belt is over-tensioned and putting strain on the tensioner bearing. or, did they replace the tensioner? the last time i replaced the timing belt on my protege, i also replaced the tensioner, and ever since, it had the nice gentle "whooshing" sound of a turbo when i'd accelerate hard. interestingly, the sounds only occured during acceleration, but it was still somewhat rpm-based of course.

if it's more like a plain resonance thing like you've described, could it be a loose motor mount? a cracked exhaust manifold? (not having anything to do with the work that was done, but could be coincidental).

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brother called it a turbo sound, but it just sounded like there was more resonance. I didn't get to drive the car to see what was going on, and i didn't hear the ticking that is usually associated with an exhaust leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts