Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eibach springs on the way... (installed)

"I can't take this anymore... I want springs."
- quoting myself. Well, I snapped and bought them.

I ordered the springs and the front alignment kit from coximport.com. So, maybe in about a week I'll have pictures for you guys.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to see em. I am also interested in the Eibach ProKit, but I'm not sure if it's available yet for the '04. What kind of struts will you be using? Your stock Elantra struts or upgrading to the Tibs?

Axel

·
Registered
687 Posts
good stuff .You wont regret them

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2004ElantraGLS said:
What kind of struts will you be using? Your stock Elantra struts or upgrading to the Tibs?
I'll be using the stock struts since they seem to work fine with Eibach springs. It would be nice if there were more choices for struts out there and that's really why I waited so long. I wanted to get some good aftermarket struts... but I don't want to wait anymore.

Once everything is installed I will have it setup for -1.2 degree camber front & rear.

Oh, and as far as I know the suspension didn't change for '04. I think the Eibach springs would work fine. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I you want to save your self $30 or so bucks try to cancell the alignment kit. You shouldn't need it if you're using the Eibachs and only want -1.2 degrees.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Really? According to the suspension specs, the front is only capable of -0.5 degree camber max.

0 degrees +- 30 minutes = -0.5 to 0.5 degrees

But, were you able to have more adjustment than that?

With the alignment kit I'll be able to go up to -1.75 degrees in the front.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You don't need the camber kit. But I got it because I wanted more negative camber than the stock adjustments would provide. I was kinda following some threads that Jay and GLS2NV started in a couple of other forums, and that's what they were recommending.

I'm not sure what the stock alignment would be exactly, but I'll be getting the following:

Front:
-1.2 degrees camber
1/16" toe out

Rear:
-1.2 degrees camber
1/16" toe in

The toe settings should help improve handling as well. This is what Jay suggested over at ElantraGTClub:
Front 1 to 1.5 degrees negative camber, 0 to 1/16" of toe out.
Rear 1 to 1.5 degrees negative camber, 0 to 1/16" toe in.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
My car is a bit lower than the Eibachs will put you(Mookeeh/Quest coilovers)but I did not need the alignment kit and I got -1 degree of camber.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I think it's a restriction of the stock struts though if I remember right. That would make sense.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Jay was not using the camber bolts to get the settings he was running. When I had talked to him about installing my coilovers I thought he said he was only going to be using the alignment kit because he wanted more than -1.2 for autox

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
He must have been talking about the rear because that's what the rear restriction is. He used to have his car setup for -0.5 degrees in the front and -1.2 degrees in the rear with Eibach springs, and I thought that was simply because those were the limits without using an alignment kit. Then I did the math from the spec sheet, and sure enough that's what it indicates.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I really seem to remember him running more the -.5 on the fronts without the need for the camber bolts. But maybe I'm thinking of something else. What you could do is wait untill they try to align it to your specs and if they can't then have the alingment people throw the bolts in then. They will already be messing with those bolts so I can't see it being a problem for the shop to do that.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, the other thing is that for a time Jay was using Tiburon struts and they allow more adjustment as well. Maybe he was running -1.2 degree camber with them.

I just asked him and he seems to think that -.5 degrees is the limit for the stock struts. I'll probably use the alignment kit then, but thanks for the help -- now we know. ;)

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read that same thread. He corrected himself. At first he said toe in for both front & back, then he changed it to read toe out for front and toe in for the rear.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
hey, are you going to rent a spring compressor? if so, do you want to make it happen on the same weekend, because my tib struts just came in, and im going to run them on stock springs. I'll go half with you on the cost of renting it. if you're willing, I have a large driveway, and all the jacks and tools you could need (of course, more tools never hurts). does it sound like a mini-meet to you?
I live in mesquite, or I have a shop in dallas we could go to (but I'd have to lug my tools over there). I was planning on doing mine next saturday.
give me a call- . my phone sucks, so leave a message. (I have a crazy voicemail recording, so just be warned)

edit: obviously we cant do alignments at my house, so you'd have to take it to a shop for that :tongue:

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts

1 - 20 of 42 Posts