Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swortham and myself were talking about these last night. Eibach has some struts available for the Tiburon (part number 4220.840). I figure they should work great on our cars. Some part of me doesn't want to admit that the Tib Ultrasport OEM struts are good enough with lowering springs, afterall they are stock. This seems to be the best alternative.

Would it be best to use them with Eibach springs or would H&R's most likely be ok? And like with the Tib OEM struts it would be best to use XD springs I suppose? And you'd probably have to switch the fronts around like with the Tib OEM struts? Other than that, I don't see any difficulties.

Thoughts?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
I was thinking along the same idea, with the rear struts. I'm leaning towards the Eibach XD springs with Tib Eibach or Ultrasport rear struts. Not for the front struts though. I might leave them stock and test for under/oversteer... By the end of the year my suspension will probably need some work, because at 42 K miles it's getting tired already!!!

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
If you're going to replace struts do all 4 not just the fronts or rears, and I'd stick to the XD springs as they match our weight better than the springs for a Tib.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
if you use eibach struts use the springs that go with them...so this way everything is matched...the struts will be hard while if you use the xd springs they will be softer....i was going that way i would use both struts and springs from the 03...and it will be stiffer then xd springs :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would recommend putting eibach springs in eibach struts. They are meant to work together. I have eibach springs in my stocker struts for 1 year now, and the struts are toast. I am going to replace my struts soon, but eibach struts are a lot of money. so i might have to wait.

·
Registered
130 Posts
whats wrong with the KYB's at HP.com, i'm planning on them with my H&R springs, and my Tib Sway bar and front strut bar, thats most likely going to be the extent of my suspension

·
Registered
454 Posts
Some part of me doesn't want to admit that the Tib Ultrasport OEM struts are good enough with lowering springs, afterall they are stock
Easiest way to determine this would be to compare the dampening rates of the struts. I looked for the rate for the eibachs and could not find them. The Tiburon dampening rate was somewhere around 230 I think I will try and find out tomorrow

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
SkizziK03elan said:
whats wrong with the KYB's at HP.com, i'm planning on them with my H&R springs, and my Tib Sway bar and front strut bar, thats most likely going to be the extent of my suspension
Nothing wrong with them really. They're a little stiffer than stock, and cheaper than most others.

Here's a damping rate comparison for you...

For .3 m/s this is how the fronts stack up (expansion/compression in kg)...
Elantra --------- KYB GR-2 ------------------------------ Tiburon Ultrasports
105/26 ---------- 130/40 ------------------------------------- 209/57

http://www.elantraxd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=5681

But the KYB rear struts still aren't available for the XD -- only the fronts.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
thats stupid....why would they offer fronts and not rears??? the eibachs are meant to go with one another...the spring rate and dampening rate are matched....to optimize cornering and comfort :)

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
only1db said:
thats stupid....why would they offer fronts and not rears???
The fronts were never designed specifically for the XD... they were designed for the previous generation Elantra and it just so happens that they work for the XD as well. But KYB still has to make the rears for the XD because nothing else will work properly for their standards.

EDIT -- Correction... it looks like KYB might have finally released the rear struts:
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2508#post2508

only1db said:
the eibachs are meant to go with one another...the spring rate and dampening rate are matched....to optimize cornering and comfort :)
Agreed, the only thing I'm unsure of is when it's all said and done, how much is it going to lower the car, and will it be an even stance? I don't know.

I know that if you used XD Eibach springs with Tib Eibach struts, then it would lower 1" in front and .625" in rear. But if you used Tib Eibach springs instead, who knows what the drop will be like with the even stiffer spring rate designed for a heavier car -- maybe it would only lower a 1/4"? If you can just find that answer from someone who has used those springs on an XD, then that'll help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
yes, the KYB rear struts ARE availible, they just arent on thier site, i have the part numbers for them if anyone is interested.

can some one give me the part numbers for all 4 tiburon ultrasport struts, i'd rather go with those than the KYB's if they are better, who/where can i get them?

thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Would if be fine to run Eibach Shocks w/ the H&R springs?

Also, has anyone else ran this setup, or know of anyone who has so I could ask them some questions regarding ride quality/performance quality?

Thanks Black04GT

·
Registered
130 Posts
if i get the Eibach struts, i'll have them with my H&R springs, i'll let you know

·
Banned
1,078 Posts
Some part of me doesn't want to admit that the Tib Ultrasport OEM struts are good enough with lowering springs, afterall they are stock. This seems to be the best alternative.
This was quoted in SCC, and also tested and proven by koreans with the GL tuscani with Elisa shocks :)

Best of luck

·
Registered
454 Posts
Spike could you be a little clearer. If I remember the article correctly they said the stock suspension on the Tib (mainly the struts) could possible have been the only suspesion that you could lower without replacing the struts and be ok with. I think this might be what you were trying to say

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
On Monday I installed the Eibach Tib struts with the Eibach XD springs. The ride is firmer but not bad on smooth roads. The front seems a little lower, and the wheel gap is more even between front and rear...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts