Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey! does anyone know if i can fit an 18" subwoofer (needs 5-6 cubic feet of space) in the trunk of a 2001 elantra? the sub has to be aiming up :abovelol: to work right. if so can you make a box design (preferably ported tuned to about 33hz)

i am thinking about taking part of the back seat out in the middle so i can have the port go directly into the cabin.

ps i dont know what prefix to choose lmfao

·
chef 4 life
5,781 Posts
You have an XD. You can fit the 18 as long as you hadn't planned on using your trunk for anything but that. You really don't need anything near that size to bump an Elantra though.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Facing up is going to rattle your trunk and rear deck. If you are going to remove the rear seat, why not allow the sub to fire into the cabin and the port into the cabin. Why waste sound into the body of the car that's just going to cause rattles?

A box that big alone will make the rear squat.

What kind of 18" sub is it? What amp are you using for it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an 18" psi sub. Not sure on the amp yet. But i already have 2 rockford fosgate p1 12s and want2 upgrade. aparently they have to face up? idk imma ask team psi again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because imma run in an spl, and i know eventually im gunna upgrade so why waste my money on something that i know im finna upgrade?

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Up is probably recommended because the standard install vehicle is a SUV, which you can: fire up into the cabin space, fire rearward to reflect off the rear gate or forward fire into the rear seat and muffle the sound.

They are always going to tell you to fire up or rear because most cars have a rear seat, firing into a bunch of foam is wasteful. But you said you where going to remove your seat. Which makes your car different from the ordinary. It would be a tight fit, and possibly require some modifications, but you can get it forward facing.

I have my rear seat removed and a forward facing sub. I can guarantee you you will get louder and better quality out of a forward facing. It's common sense, sound comes out the front of the sub, you want to hear the sound, aim the cone towards you. Sound can also come out the rear, so if you have a port, aim the port towards where you want the sound to go. The only reason firing it in a different direction would be louder is that what you are firing against can flex and reflect the sound. Example, put a sub inside a full fiberglass shower. The Elantra's trunk lid is very poor at reflecting sound, it rattles by itself just driving, throw some vibrations at it and your asking for rattles which if you care about quality is negative. Rear deck doesn't rattle as bad, but still it's not a good option if you have the option to forward fire.

What are you looking to accomplish? What's the ratings on that sub? An 18" sub is not going to fit fully in the opening between the trunk and the cabin. So I would suggest a 10"-12" sub. I'm sure PSI will have a 10" that will work much better for you.

P1's are crap, so don't judge 12" sound levels / sound quality based on your experience from them. My Sony Xplod will outdo a P1. And just because you have two doesn't mean you have to upgrade the size when moving to an upgraded single setup. There are many single 10" setups that will out power and have better quality than two of those.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I've been quite happy with my 10" Pioneer and Baja 4ch amp (paired for dual ch right now). All i need is a better box for the sub.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ay dont talk **** about my RFs man. thass not cool. they not good for loudness but they there just to get that basline thuumping a lil louder with good SQ. and im finna get 18" because im finna get another car soon (only for SPL) and its gunna be a SUV soo yeahh

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
If you don't want the advice then don't ask for it and then dismiss it.

Since your going to get the SUV and put the 18 in there, then why the hell spend the materials and time on getting it into the Elantra???

Also, skip the gangster gibberish and learn how to talk.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
because im still working on the elantra. itll take me a while to choose and find the right car. the elantra is still and always is my baby. i was wondering if i could make it fit, not if my subs are crap are not. i know how to talk for your information, i am white and 14. just abbreviating words, and thats how i do it. i am here to learn about cars, not proper english. i have teachers at school for english, you guys are my teachers for the hyundai elantra.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
if you honestly think the p1 rfs are "good sq" then you would be happy with just about anything im sure..
you can physically fit an 18 in the car no problem, just make a box that is not very tall but get your airspace from the width and just slide it in, should be n/p.

where can you drive at 14?

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
In SC, you can have a permit at 14, supervised day driving for 6 months. Then you can apply for your drivers license. I think it got raised recently though. Profile says Chi, so Chicago? I doubt a big city will allow that.

I used to think a 4" Yamaha 12W Full-Range speaker in a cardboard box with cotton balls sounded good. It was the best I had at that time. But I never considered it to be acceptable audio quality. No matter how good any system is it is, it can be made better.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. Normally when someone wants to make a massive jump upgrade, it's because they are dissatisfied with their current setup. You never mentioned the SUV. I was giving you suggestions to save: time, money, space, gas, etc... for the Elantra.

If you are just wanting to throw the 18" in, just to take it out again. It's a waste of time and money. It's going to damage the Elantra more than you will get enjoyment out of it, if it's only in there for a short period of time. Especially if you like the P1s. There is nothing wrong with your stereo if you are happy with it.

You changed the way you were talking when you got offended. I didn't mean to offend you, I thought you where looking for an upgrade. Your first post was normal. Which indicates you normally do talk normal, that's respectable for someone your age. Don't degrade yourself because of something someone else says, age is not an excuse to talk ignorant. People take you seriously when they can understand what you are saying.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
"Finna" = "Fitting to". As in "I'm fitting to chat up that fine young example of womanly youth and virility." = "I'm finna hit that *****."

Ghetto raised = Ghetto praise.

As far as wanting an 18" sub in a compact car, I'm gonna go ahead and say that unless there's pics, I'm a hater. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love a crazy huge sub in my ride, but if I had the money to get it, I'd just get a nicer car and pick up women in that.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
"Finna" = "Fitting to". As in "I'm fitting to chat up that fine young example of womanly youth and virility." = "I'm finna hit that *****."

so its like a less ******* way of saying "fixin to".. neat

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aight guys. yes chicago. i cant drive anywhere legally yet. im getting into the car industry early. and thats aight man. no man i have weird days where i talk differently. and imma put the 18" in my elantra because of a few things: there will be more in the SUV and i want to run in SPL in my elantra (and maybe have the loudest elantra?) for the first SPL contest

---------- Post added 10-26-2010 at 01:37 PM ----------

and now people can understand me because of that definition^^^ lol

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
my single 12" would crush your 18" its not about how big it is man...its about how its used. kids...havent learned **** yet.

btw for lowest bass response you want the sub facing toward to the rear of the vehicle so the wave is at its longest (physics...something you probably havent gotten into yet) this is one of the reasons whey i went with a hatch...so i could still have the sub "in the car" and NOT in the trunk.

SPL you want the most pressure from the smallest cabin space, so for this front firing is ok, but usually sounds like poop.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts