XD/XD2 Hatch:
Front: 6-3/4"
Rear: 6-3/4"

HD:
Front: 6-1/2"
Rear: 6-1/2"

Extra info:
Web searches may tell you the front doors mounting depth for XD/XD2 is 2.5,
but with the window down it is almost exactly 2.25, this has been measured multiple times.
Thanks to evilcalvin we know that .5inch spacers fit no problem.
With the spacer you can fit up to 2.75 mounting depth speakers.

Door Panel Removal for XD/XD2:
http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/doorpanel.php

Rear Seat Removal for XD/XD2:
http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/oemseat.php

Elantra Acronym Key -Thanks Doohickie

Hyundai Elantra Acronyms and Abbreviations:
Elantra:
J1 (92-95)
J2 (96-00)
XD (01-03)
XD2 (04-06)
HD (07+)
Note that some trim levels did not include the stock tweeter location.
The door panels themselves can be easily switched out if you wanted to install them.

*HELP ME MAKE THIS SECTION BETTER*
info/comments etc. all good info will kept

*Keep this thread clean, only post pertaining to the topic of stock speaker sizes and info about them.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Top mount: Top part of the surface to the opposing bottom depth
This is a standard installation, when you just set the speaker on the top of the hole and screw it down

Bottom mount: Inside of the top part of the surface to the opposing bottom depth
you only need the bottom mount depth if you are flush mounting, meaning you are recessing the speaker into the area.

#11 ·
Thanks for your help on other questions guys, one more I'm curious about. I'm looking at getting some new pioneer rear 6x9's for my 2003 Elantra GT (XD). They are EXACTLY 4 inches in depth. Will they fit? I haven't removed the seats to check the depth, and I couldn't find the depth on here for the rear speakers (the front is found on here...just not the rear). My assumption is that there may not be much near the speakers behind the seat so I could fit any speakers I want, but I know some cars (like Accords) have tension bars and things directly under their speakers and the clearance is pretty tight.

Again, just looking for an idea..thanks again for all your help.

#13 ·
my jls have really big magnets and have 0 probs, while i guess i cant "guarantee" it, im not seeing any chance of it not clearing.

#21 ·
making your own is a better call all the way around. its cake to cut out a circle, just get some 1/2 in ply and cut out your own spacers

#23 ·
find someone who does hah.
all you need is a small piece of ply and a saw. even a handsaw (ew), would work.
you can dload 6.5" speaker cutouts from the web, just make sure to make them a little thick so they reach the factory holes.

i used mdf on these ones, which ended up being a fail. i mean they worked, but about a year later when i was in the doors again i replaced them with plywood ones cause the mdf cracked and split alot. also my dumb *** didnt pre-drill everything :p

theres pics of the ply ones i made floating around too. i duno where though hah

#28 ·
none of the tweeters ive put in actually fit perfect really. you need to put in some kind of little mount. Some shops (crappy ones) will actually just use glue or something.
ive also seen people use really strong tape, like gorilla tape. duno how it held up over time though.

i cant find the pic of mine showing what i used. but it was a roll of what looked like metal tape. non-adhesive though, its thin aluminum and has holes probobly every half inch through it. i just stretched a piece across the back of the tweeter and used small screws into the door panel to hold it in place. works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.